See any issues with my laser
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > See any issues with my laser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default See any issues with my laser

I recently bought a laser off ebay and its too long for my XD SC.

I'm wanting to use it as is until I can get a crimson trace or the kind that goes in the guide rod. I can't use it with my Fobus, but it fits just fine in my IWB holster, and draws without getting caught on anything. Other than being to long, does anyone see any issues I may have when firing? Only two of the bolts tighten on the rail, but its tight and doesn't move at all. I have not shot it yet since putting the laser on.
Also, when I do change lasers, can someone recommend a good, bright light that will mount correctly on the rail?
Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-26-2011, 05:55 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

I have that exact laser on my SIG 226. It's pretty cheap and hard to adjust the aim on it. It's good for starters because it will probably illustrate how basically useless lasers are for anything but TV shows. They don't improve target shooting accuracy and they are only a distraction for defense shooting, one more thing to confuse or delay response. I never recommend lasers on a defense gun, it just gives the bad guy a perfect target that is on line with your head. It was useful for cops because shining a laser on a belligerent fool gets his attention and punctuates that he is a trigger pull away from being dead. Now that the cops carry tasers, they don't use the lasers for that much. Don't drop $250 on a laser until you have tried shooting with one.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #3

As for a laser to buy go with the crimson trace laser. I have one on my glock 22. I live this thing. It may not help on your grouping so much but in a defense situation it works great. You don't have to worry so much about sight picture and as ling as the red dot is on the bg then ur going to hit him. That is the point of a laser. As for ur problem me personally I would not us that laser u have on that gun cuz of the muzzle flash may burn up the end if ur laser. That just a thought nut if I was u I would be very careful with it. There is a reason there are three screws for that laser and if only two of them are fitted on then something may go wrong if u shot it with only two of them on ur gun

Old 09-26-2011, 11:44 PM   #4

Thank you both for the info.
Bountyhunter- I tried to figure out how to adjust this laser when I got it, but the only way I can tell to really dial it in is to adjust the bolts. I understand that the idea of the bullet hitting the BG exactly where the laser is pointing is for the movies, but I figure if its anywhere close, its going to hit in the right places.
Not that I would ever pull my gun on someone to scare them off, but I always thought that if someone looked down to see a red dot on their chest, that would make them go the other way. I know I would, but I maybe wrong.
Glockguy- I'm with you on the Crimson Trace, I just don't want to drop the $ on that yet. I'm looking into the CT, or the laser on the guide rod. As far as the muzzle flash ruining the laser, I may just keep it on there for now for self defense, and take it off while I'm out shooting.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3219 Times on 1616 Posts
Likes Given: 421

The muzzle blast will mess that thing up or at least mess with the zero.
I'm not sure if they make a Guide Rod Laser for the XD**SC. I have the 40.
I'd spend the money on a set of night sights. I've not been sold on the idea of depending on a battery powered sighting device on a defense gun. Murphy's law still applies. I'd rather not be worried about why my laser or red dot isn't working when junior banger & friends are trying to kick in the door. YMMV.

NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 09-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #6

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Kind of looks like the lazer off my daughters "Air Soft" - - - the Air Soft with Lazer is under $20.00 and work good together but I would not want to trust my safety and well being to it in real life.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborns View Post
Thank you both for the info.
Bountyhunter- I tried to figure out how to adjust this laser when I got it, but the only way I can tell to really dial it in is to adjust the bolts.
Mine adjusts by the four allen screws on the tube. I did it at home using a bore laser to adjust the thing. You'll be lucky if you can get it within 3" of POI at 15 yards.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
The muzzle blast will mess that thing up or at least mess with the zero.
I'm not sure if they make a Guide Rod Laser for the XD**SC. I have the 40.
I'd spend the money on a set of night sights.
+1 and spend the rest on practice ammo/range time.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #9

Any suggestions on good quality night sights?

I've seen night sights, but don't know much about them. I know they don't use batteries, are they always bright, even if the gun is stored in a safe? Is it like the chemical in Luminox watches? Mine is in a bag all day/ night and when I pull it out, its lit up.

Thanks!

Last edited by dborns; 09-28-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3219 Times on 1616 Posts
Likes Given: 421

My Dan Wesson came with Trijicons, they work as advertised. I'd buy them for other guns as needed without worries.
TruGlow seem to be popular, though I can't speak to any actual experience with them.

NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand