Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Scratching my head at the 3.8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Scratching my head at the 3.8

Am I the only one who scratches my head every time I look at the XDM 3.8?

I'm not sure why I would want a gun with a short barrel and a huge grip when the barrel length is easily concealed and the grip is what makes a gun harder to hide. Why didn't Springfield make this gun with a reduced grip length, lets say a 15-shot 9mm?

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I hear what you're saying and I agree. The hard thing to hide is the grip yet many subcompact pistols shorten the barrel and do very little for the grip length. They also forget about the bulkiness of double stack pistols in general. I personally cannot find a reason to purchase the 3.8. After owning a SC9, I can't find a reason for owning them either as I couldn't conceal it well.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I believe it's all about balance and personal taste. You must remember that every firearm need not be stuck in your waste band and I believe that the 3.8 fills a void in Springfield's arsenal.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 217 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 27

As popular as the XDM lineup has been, I don't understand why they didn't design shorter mags/grips for their "compacts". They could shave 25% off the capacity and still be around 10rd (45acp), 12rd (40sw), and 15rd (9mm)...which would be more than ample capacity in each case. In fact, that's a typical round count for most full framed guns in those calibers.

They don't need a subcompact, but a true compact XDM would be nice. I've got an XDM45, and I really enjoy it. If they were to make a true compact version (3.8" with reduced capacity), I'd buy a 9 or a 45 and make a carry gun out of it. But until that happens I don't any myself having any use for the 3.8.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #5

Shortening the barrel length while keeping the frame size the same, allows smaller frame people to carry in a shoulder holster less noticeabley without sacrificing firepower. I had to change from a gov. 1911 to a commander because the end of the barrel stuck a little too far. However I do agree they should have decreased the bulk and length of the grip.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Last edited by gadrooning; 08-16-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I find it so strange that I posted this exact same question on a different forum today.

What is even weirder is that I'm drawn to the 3.8 version of the gun for no apparent reason. I'm guessing that somewhere in my psyche I find it more aesthetically pleasing or something.

I really don't think that barrel length for the gun is going to be an issue in 99% of the self defense scenarios people might unexpectedly find themselves in.

I'm a Realtor who sells Plymouth MI homes, I carry a Taurus 738 pocket pistol every day.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Doesn't matter because they are selling a buttload of them!