Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Questions about the XD .40 SnW (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/questions-about-xd-40-snw-7069/)

fragout 09-22-2008 07:50 PM

Questions about the XD .40 SnW

I have recently aquired an XD chambered in 40SnW from a buddy of mine that was in need of some cash, so I got it for next to nothin compared to what they are asking for them at the shops around my neck of the woods. ($150.00). The pistol has the factory night sights, and came with 3 factory mags. Two of the 3 mags have never had ammo loaded in them. My buddy bought this pistol NIB, and has only put 1 box of ammo thru it. ( 100rd box of WIN FMJ). I have very little hands on with the XD, or any other pistol chambered in .40, so I figured I'd ask a few questions here.......

1. anyone had any adverse issues with thier XD?(40SnW in paticular?)
2. What types of ammunition do you like to run thru your XD40? Any type of ammunition to avoid runnin thru the XD40, such as steel cased stuff like Wolf, or is Wolf good to go thru the XD40?
3. Reliable? (How does the XD compare to the Glock in terms of reliability?)
4. Other?
5. Do they make any conversion kits for the XD ? ( 22LR, 9mm, other?)

.40S&W4ME 09-23-2008 12:50 AM

The XD is a a great firearm and just as releable as a glock. I have a service model in.40 and it's awesome. I use it for IDPA and USPSA matches. I've upgraded a few things like the sights, trigger and a magwell. Try www.tacttec.com and www.pistolgear.com, thats were i got my stuff. I purchased a magwell from pistolgear and the rest from Tactical Technologies.
If you have any questions let me know.

.40S&W4ME 09-23-2008 12:54 AM

XD is a Great Gun.Can't go wrong with it.

hillbilly68 09-23-2008 01:41 AM

I'll give you $ 200 for it! Seriously congrats, it is a great weapon. My experience with it has been excellent (XD 45). Very much "glock like" goes bang every time you pull the trigger. I hate to admit it (die hard 1911 follower) but you cant go wrong with it, 'specially for the price you paid:cool:.

IMO I wouldn't shoot Wolf steel cased ammo out of anything but an AK, she deserves better.

Not sure about conversions, ill defer to our comrades on that one.

Good luck with it, you found a winner.
regards

fragout 09-23-2008 03:40 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. Anyone have any links to compnies that sell NIW Springfield Armory XD40 high cap mags? Looks like I'm in the market for a few now. I checked out the SAI site, but if the XD mags have jacked up prices similar to thier M1A 20rd mags, I figure that I should be able to find XD40 mags a little cheaper elsewhere.

bountyhunter 09-23-2008 05:41 AM

The barrel makers like EFK Firedragon make 9mm conversion barrels for the XD 40SW. I have one for mine. It shoots accurately but extraction is not 100% reliable because the XD uses a fixed position extractor and the .40 extractor's location doesn't tightly grip the smaller 9mm case. 9mm in a XD .40 works OK to shoot at the range, not for a defense gun.

bountyhunter 09-23-2008 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly68 (Post 41835)
IMO I wouldn't shoot Wolf steel cased ammo out of anything but an AK

Yep, and only if it was ISSUED or BORROWED.......:D

.40S&W4ME 09-29-2008 08:44 PM

The XD is a fine gun. I have one with thousands of rounds through it. If one wants to shoot 9mm then one should buy a 9mm. I have shot glock .40's with 9mm barrels in them and extraction is not 100% with those either. The extractor for a .40 is designed for a .40 not 9mm hence the extraction issues when doing so. I understand the need for economical practice due to the ever increasing price of ammo. Try a 22 conversion kit. I am awaiting an e-mail from advantage arms to see if they make one.

fragout 09-29-2008 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .40S&W4ME (Post 42915)
The XD is a fine gun. I have one with thousands of rounds through it. If one wants to shoot 9mm then one should buy a 9mm. I have shot glock .40's with 9mm barrels in them and extraction is not 100% with those either. The extractor for a .40 is designed for a .40 not 9mm hence the extraction issues when doing so. I understand the need for economical practice due to the ever increasing price of ammo. Try a 22 conversion kit. I am awaiting an e-mail from advantage arms to see if they make one.

I would be very interested in a 22 conv. kit for the XD40, but havent been able to locate anyone who makes one. Up until now, my semiauto handgun has been a Glock 19, and I have a stockpile of 9mm built up already, so figured it might be economical for a 9mm conv kit for the XD. The 22lr kit is the one I'm really lookin for however. Thanks for the info.

.40S&W4ME 10-01-2008 05:06 PM

Just recieved e-mail from Advamtage arms. They are not making a 22lr conversion for the XD at this time. I continue the search for one. If anyone get a lead on someone producing one let me know.