Question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question

I have an XD .4 service model. I keep a clip of hollow point ammo loaded for home defense. Since this ammo will, hopefully, never be fired how often, if ever, should I unload it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-03-2009, 06:03 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ105 View Post
I have an XD .4 service model. I keep a clip of hollow point ammo loaded for home defense. Since this ammo will, hopefully, never be fired how often, if ever, should I unload it?
DrJ - This is just my opinion and I may be wrong. I know that the magazine spring may weaken over time and in that case if you wanted to prevent that you could have two magazines and alternate them every so often.

I have a Beretta M9 that I keep hanging on the head of my bed that I switch out the magazines every month or so. To start with, I kept the same mag loaded in it for several years (7 or 8) and I noticed that it did not want to feed right so I started switching them out.

This is a very good question and I hope someone with a lot more knowledge comes along and adds his/her comment.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take every thing you have.
Thomas Jefferson

US Army Retired / Postal Employee
NRA Endowment Member
Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org