PRP or SP trigger for 5.25 ??

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > PRP or SP trigger for 5.25 ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default PRP or SP trigger for 5.25 ??

I have a new XDM 5.25 on the way and want to upgrade the trigger. I already have the XDM in 9 and 40 really like the trigger but I want to build up a modified gun for steel plate shoots ect...

Just looking for input on either brand or is anyone has tried both and has opinion on them.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5724 Times on 2992 Posts
Likes Given: 379

shoot the one it comes with first before you do anything to it.

THEN if you dont like it change out the trigger.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Jon,

I already have the XDM in 9 & 40 and they have the same trigger. I have put thousands of rounds through them so I am very familiar with the stock XDM trigger. I really like them but I would like to upgrade this one.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5724 Times on 2992 Posts
Likes Given: 379

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
Jon,

I already have the XDM in 9 & 40 and they have the same trigger. I have put thousands of rounds through them so I am very familiar with the stock XDM trigger. I really like them but I would like to upgrade this one.
the 5.5 is a bit a different in trigger pull. not much but some. thats why i suggest using it before you change it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have tried it in a friends that I sold him, but thank you for the suggestion.

I was simply looking for input on a brand comparison between the PRP VS the SP triggers. I have no experience with those brands and was seeking some real world input.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:04 AM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I ordered a 5.25 for my wife in 2011 from Springer Precision. They installed their trigger kit and did some additional work on the trigger and then shipped the pistol to me.

I have never shot an unmodified 5.25 or one with the PRP trigger in it so I cannot give you a direct comparison. But, what I will tell you is that my wife's 5.25 trigger is as close to my Wilson Combat 1911 triggers as I have ever felt in a polymer or non-1911 semi-auto pistol.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #7

I would sway you towards the PRP trigger. I have one installed in my XDM 3.8 compact which I loveI! have installed the PRP ultimate trigger kit 2.5 pound break in my XDM 5.25 and it is awesome! Both kits decrease your total trigger movement in more than half. It is a very crisply get break with very minimal over travel and a short reset. PRP makes a top notch product and offers amazing customer support should you need it. I have install 7 PRP kits for friendsand family and never have had an issue. I have thousands of rounds through my xdm's worth no malfunctions.

Last edited by fireman091; 04-05-2014 at 04:36 PM.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I have the PRP Ultimate Match trigger in my XDM. No experience with the Springer trigger but I'm sure it is also a fine product. Everyone that I've let shoot my gun that hasn't shot a modified trigger in a polymer gun can't believe a trigger can be that good. I am very happy with mine but would love to get to shoot a Springer trigger for comparison sake. My guess is that neither would be so tremendously better that a person would call the other terrible.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Both kits do the same thing, just in different ways. I personally have never installed a PRP kit, but I have shot them. I have installed SP kits in mine, and I really cannot tell a difference between the two. To get the most from either kit, send them in.

The reason I have continued to use SP kits is that Scott did my first XD trigger back when no kits existed yet, and his kits have flat out worked for me.

-Bidah

Old 08-31-2014, 06:35 AM   #10

Default PRP or SP trigger for 5.25 ??

After shooting six full magazines in my xdm 5.25 9mm, I purchased the prp drop in trigger kit, from what I read it reduces enough of the Long travel and long reset to make it tolerable didn't need the ultimate kit as this is a plinking / target gun that is open carried also so a 2-3 lb trigger is not necessary, but the guys that use this for 3-Gun and other endeavors , I can see having the ultimate kit... Just my 2 cents worth of info...

(follow up, got trigger kit in Friday installed combat springs (not the blue comp springs), 125 well spent and the SS guide rod improved the balance trigger is now what a xdm should be out of the case!)

Last edited by gdkaiser; 09-06-2014 at 06:30 PM.