Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Problems with the XD slide rusting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Problems with the XD slide rusting

I recently bought a used SA XD 40 service model for a really good price. I noticed a little rust starting to form on the slide. Is this a common problem for the XD?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #2

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow12233 View Post
I recently bought a used SA XD 40 service model for a really good price. I noticed a little rust starting to form on the slide. Is this a common problem for the XD?
I've never heard of any XDs having unusual or excessive rust issues. I think perhaps it has more to do with the maintenance habits of the prior owner. Any metal will rust if not properly cared for. Look for excessive wearing or scratching of the finish around where the rust spots were, carry guns suffer from holster wear from the daily rubbing against the holster and the build up of salt from sweat. The slide may need to be recoated or touched up if the wear is through to the base metal. Give it a good wipe down to get all the hand prints and oil off after any handling and keep it covered in a light coating of oil.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

I've never heard of any XDs having unusual or excessive rust issues. I think perhaps it has more to do with the maintenance habits of the prior owner. Any metal will rust if not properly cared for. Look for excessive wearing or scratching of the finish around where the rust spots were, carry guns suffer from holster wear from the daily rubbing against the holster and the build up of salt from sweat. The slide may need to be recoated or touched up if the wear is through to the base metal. Give it a good wipe down to get all the hand prints and oil off after any handling and keep it covered in a light coating of oil.
Thank you for the info. I figured it was probably the care habits of the previous owner, but the gun fires extremely well and I love it. I was thinking about sending it to someone to get the slide and barrel chromed. But until then I will keep a light coat of oil on it.