Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Night sights installation for XD45 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/night-sights-installation-xd45-18204/)

lonyaeger 09-18-2009 02:01 AM

Night sights installation for XD45

I just ordered a set of Trijicon night sights for my XD. Can I install them myself? I have no gunsmithing tools.

NGIB 09-18-2009 08:27 AM

The sights on XDs are very, very difficult to remove, almost like they're welded in place. The generic sight pushers will not work on them either as I've tried. I've also used the hammer & brass punch method before with no luck at all.

Bottom line is they require a commercial sight pusher (very expensive) or a smith to install them. YMMV - maybe...

Gojubrian 09-18-2009 09:18 AM

Have to go to a smithy.......

spittinfire 09-18-2009 11:27 AM

A friend of mine bent his sight press trying to get them off. When the guy he was doing the work for called Springfield they told him to use a bigger hammer....take it to a smith.

lonyaeger 09-18-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 161513)
The sights on XDs are very, very difficult to remove, almost like they're welded in place. The generic sight pushers will not work on them either as I've tried. I've also used the hammer & brass punch method before with no luck at all.

Bottom line is they require a commercial sight pusher (very expensive) or a smith to install them. YMMV - maybe...

Thanks. I've seen you use that acronym....YMMV.....in other posts. Excuse my ignorance....but what does it mean?

lonyaeger 09-18-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 161544)
A friend of mine bent his sight press trying to get them off. When the guy he was doing the work for called Springfield they told him to use a bigger hammer....take it to a smith.

I will, thanks.

NGIB 09-18-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonyaeger (Post 161559)
Thanks. I've seen you use that acronym....YMMV.....in other posts. Excuse my ignorance....but what does it mean?

Your Mileage May Vary.

Also note that Sig P series sights fit XDs. What started my XD sight changing escapade is picking up a set of XS Big Dot sights a fella had bought for his P229 and didn't like them. After many frustrating attempts, I took it to a local smith and had them installed...

lonyaeger 09-18-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 161565)
Your Mileage May Vary.

Also note that Sig P series sights fit XDs. What started my XD sight changing escapade is picking up a set of XS Big Dot sights a fella had bought for his P229 and didn't like them. After many frustrating attempts, I took it to a local smith and had them installed...

Now I know....thanks!

Phelenwolf 12-12-2009 08:20 PM

I know this thread is 3 months old but has anyone tried the Ghost Ring Night Site from Entreprise Arms? Was thinking bout getting a set for my Springfield XD45C.

lonyaeger 12-12-2009 09:47 PM

FYI, I wound up sending the slide and the sights to Springfield for installation. Great customer service, by the way.