Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Newb lookin at xdms (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/newb-lookin-xdms-61711/)

Natenite 04-03-2012 01:55 AM

Newb lookin at xdms

Ok so I'm getting ready to buy my first hand gun. I have been looking at lots of them and am in love with the xdms. I am leaning towards the 4.5 or 5.25. I'm am thinking 9 mm based on what I have learned from several people. I am stuck though. I don't know squat about sights and the 2 I looked at had very different sights. Are sights easily changed out? Would I be able to get a sight on the 5.25 with the glowing dots on the rear sight or am I stuck with the blank sight. Also is the longer barrel overkill for me. I am planning on primarily home defense and fun time at the range. I will cc after I get more comfortable with a gun but I'm guessing either is too big. I would love your thoughts on the matter if you have a chance.

munitedhooligan 04-04-2012 10:38 PM

I just bought my first pistol. An Xdm 40 with a 4.5" slide. I fired a lot of pistols before i decided. I tried all the 45 and the 9, but I have to say the 40 just shot better in my hand. But if you worry about needing practice or just want a smaller caliber for a beginning gun, the xdm 9mm is a great choice over most pistols. But i love my 40.

ZombieBrawler 04-04-2012 10:54 PM

Im an xdm fan as well. Xdm .45 in 4.5" slide is my choice for CC range and home defense. Great all around gun by far and very comfortable. The 5.25 is indeed a competition gun with the coffin cut slide FO front sight and the longer slide for accuracy. If you plan to CC this gun i would recommend it yes for the length and the weight of the slide can throw off quick shots ect ect. Some will say 4.5" is too big, i have no problem and im 5'10" 135#, so im not huge and i have no issues for CC and using comfortably. The .45 is my first handgun as well. A 9mm just doesnt have the punch id like in case theres some 300# fat ass coming after me you know? However it depends on you, i have experience with all sorts of calibers and many other large caliber guns. Im confident if you get the 4.5" youll be happy its a good balanced gun empty and full mag so theres no tilting during shooting when the mag gets lighter. As far as sights go yes the front rear and many other things can be changed out, dawson precision makes good sights, for xdm mods look up powderriverprecision.com they do good work as well. Cheers!

HOSSFLY 04-04-2012 11:03 PM

Well, i'm a XD 5" barrelled 45acp fan (the XDM has never grew on me)
But I agree on the 9mm selection & own a 1911 9mm & Ruger SR9C
But as far as nite sites there are several good ones availible -
As far as size I think you'll find either you mentioned a bit large for a CCW-
BUT later you can get another to carry & leave big brother home :D

CHLChris 04-04-2012 11:17 PM

Let's get to the issue of the question. The 4.5" and 5.25" XDm's indeed have different sights, and the slide cut-out of the 5.25" is an issue.

Sights:

The 4.5" inch has 3-dot sights, a very common sighting system that is very effective and usable as combat sights. The 5.25" has a fiber optic front sight, which is very easy to see. The rear sight is merely a notched black blade, which is adjustable. As competition sights this system is wonderful for accuracy, but for combat (i.e. home defense) purposes not so much. The lack of dots on the rear sight makes it tougher to acquire in chaos and a fiber optic sights has a greater chance of breaking in a struggle. For home defense, I think the 3-dot sights of the 4.5" win.

Slide:

The cut out in the slide is great for lighter loads common in competition, but it leaves a hole in your slide that stuff can get into. In a more chaotic environment of combat, foreign matter in your gun probably isn't good.

I doubt the extra .75" of barrel, which gives greater velocity and a longer sight radius, would make a big enough difference in combat to overcome to negatives the larger XDm presents for uses outside of competition.

Natenite 04-05-2012 11:07 PM

So it sounds like the 4.5 is the way to go. Are the sights easy to change out? Is that something I can do or do I have someone do that? I saw both white and a yellow dot color. Do I go with the ones that will glow in the dark? Do those alter the sight picture during the day? I was thinking I would get a light attachment for the pistol. Would you guys recommend that or is it overkill?

ZombieBrawler 04-05-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natenite
So it sounds like the 4.5 is the way to go. Are the sights easy to change out? Is that something I can do or do I have someone do that? I saw both white and a yellow dot color. Do I go with the ones that will glow in the dark? Do those alter the sight picture during the day? I was thinking I would get a light attachment for the pistol. Would you guys recommend that or is it overkill?

I definatley recommend checking out dawsonprecision.com and powderriverprecision.com, and ordering a xdm 4.5" from PRP is less than most retail places, around $602 for the .45 and they have many options and sights ect for it all installed and sent to your ffl

Natenite 04-06-2012 12:17 AM

Is there a thread to read and get an understanding of what a ffl is and how all that works?

Magnum27 04-06-2012 03:25 AM

Just bought a XDM 4.5" 9mm Black and love it. I got it 2 weeks ago at the Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore for $499. With shipping and FFL I got it for $575 otd.

ZombieBrawler 04-06-2012 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnum27
Just bought a XDM 4.5" 9mm Black and love it. I got it 2 weeks ago at the Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore for $499. With shipping and FFL I got it for $575 otd.

Great price damn!!