New XD40 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > New XD40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 01:05 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

You also might get you some snap caps and practice your trigger pull while you're sitting on the easy boy. Righty's (which I'm assuming you are) have a tendency to shoot left and low at times. An easy way to tell if it's the gun is to rest it at ~7 yards and see what it prints. I know it's a pain to rest with the SC, but you'll figure something out. My XD began to relax for the second time around 1800-2000 rounds and it just gets better. Have fun!

Old 04-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #12

I fired a few rounds today. Two handed grip consistently low and left, but one handed put them at poi. Can't figure out what, but I'm doing something wrong for sure. I'll keep working on it, though.

Tommy

Old 04-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #13
ajb

I would guess that with the 2 handed hold you are pulling back to hard with your support hand. This may cause you to shoot low left, especially if you pull a little harder just as you break the shot.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:43 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Let me preface this by saying that I am NOT crapping on lasers, but I've watched dozens of people center the sparkle and then shoot 12" away from the X.
Aiming is certainly important, but getting the shot off without any of the 100 different causes that result in a miss is the name of the game. I've been shooting roughly 75% weak handed lately (Had shoulder surgery last year and just fell out of the practice) and found myself contracting all of my fingers on trigger press, sending everything uniformly to the right. With a few adjustments and a couple hundred rounds, I managed to scoot everything to the left and into the black at 7 yards. Of course there are fliers, but I would have them if I had the gun in a vise and a 21' barrel, because it has been ordained that my prescribed level of "suck" shall not be infringed. This is one more reason why I consider golf and handgunning parallel Hells. You fix one microscopic flaw and initiate 7 new ones!

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 04-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #15

Thanks, all. I do need to work on my grip and figure out what's going on. I have the lasergrips and I do ok with that, but then, they're adjusted for my poi. I have been concentrating lately on using open sights only. I think I will get someone to watch what I'm doing and see what we can come up with.

Tommy

Old 05-14-2010, 05:44 AM   #16

have you tried different wights of ammo or shooting stance

Old 05-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
You have a winner there that will eat anything you want to feed it!

DO NOT try to adjust the sights. The sights are fixed and should not need adjusting. You probably need to adjust your shooting, look here for help.

Correction Target

I would get a crossbreed supertuck. I just ordered one for my new kimber.

What exactly does this help with? (it won't pull of on my computer, so I haven't seen it yet.)

"Change isn't good or bad. It just is." - Don Draper

Old 05-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #18

Liked 24 Times on 7 Posts

It's a target that visually shows where your rounds will land if you suffer from one of the common problems like flinching, gripping to tightly, etc. For example, shooting low and left usually means you're jerking the trigger or tightening your grip as you pull the trigger (for a right-handed shooter)...

Old 05-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5737 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by NymphoGnome View Post
What exactly does this help with? (it won't pull of on my computer, so I haven't seen it yet.)
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/proper-sight-picture-target-mistakes-4871/

See if you can see it in this thread.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #20

All of the info posted has helped and is appreciated. I have modified the way I hold the weapon and that has helped a lot. The sight picture links and problem troubleshooting has put me on the right path. I was never far off, but now I'm on target much more often; still have some practicing to do. I think the trigger finger position was my biggest problem; using the ball of the finger was causing me to pull off. Thanks for all the help.

Tommy