Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   New XD40 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/new-xd40-23458/)

Blackwaterkatz 02-16-2010 12:42 AM

New XD40

My dealer finally got my new XD40 sub compact in today. I gave it a quick clean and fired 20 rounds or so of several brands and weights through it, and I think it's a keeper. It didn't seem to be too picky, and it seems to be at least as accurate as I am :D but shoots just a little left, about 2 inches at 17 yards. I'll adjust the sights later; kinda wish it had something besides the dovetail sight adjustment, but then I knew that when I bought it. I'm looking forward to getting some more range time in. I also want to get a better holster, if anyone has suggestions, for inside waistband.

Gojubrian 02-16-2010 01:14 AM

You have a winner there that will eat anything you want to feed it!

DO NOT try to adjust the sights. The sights are fixed and should not need adjusting. You probably need to adjust your shooting, look here for help.

Correction Target

I would get a crossbreed supertuck. I just ordered one for my new kimber.

:)

Blackwaterkatz 02-16-2010 03:46 AM

Thanks for the link, and the advice on the sights. They appear to be in a dovetail, and thought I could adjust them, but I'll try the tip from the chart: says my trigger hold is wrong. That's a real possibility; I've never considered myself to be a crack shot with a pistol. I need to practice a lot more, no doubt.

Jpyle 02-16-2010 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackwaterkatz (Post 231099)
Thanks for the link, and the advice on the sights. They appear to be in a dovetail, and thought I could adjust them, but I'll try the tip from the chart: says my trigger hold is wrong. That's a real possibility; I've never considered myself to be a crack shot with a pistol. I need to practice a lot more, no doubt.

20 or so rounds is not even close to being enough to judge the accuracy of the pistol or your ability to shoot it. Put a couple hundred through then reassess the need to adjust the sights. Also check your finger position on the trigger. If you have big hands or long fingers the smaller frame of the subcompact may require you to adjust your finger position to avoid pushing right to left as you fire each shot.

canebrake 02-16-2010 04:06 AM

Twenty rounds downrange and you want to adjust the sights??

Maybe you should get to know the gun before you go making changes.

Hand's down, the xbreed super tuck!

Crossbreed Holsters

DarinCraft 02-16-2010 05:48 AM

XD SC is a great gun. You'll love it.

NGIB 02-16-2010 08:56 AM

I'd practice at 5-10 yards with this subcompact pistol as 17 yards is a long range with a short sight radius...

Blackwaterkatz 02-16-2010 10:24 AM

All advice is much appreciated. I will do some more shooting with the pistol. I don't do nearly enough, I know. Most of my shooting is with long guns.

kmc_xd40 03-23-2010 05:34 AM

after 3000+ rounds through my XD I've only had 3 jam and all three were from the same crap box of reloads I bought from a "shaddy" range. I also agree that more time with more rounds don range would be something to do before messing with the sights.

Blackwaterkatz 03-23-2010 11:36 PM

I've now put about 300+ rounds through the pistol, of different brands and weights. I have to say it isn't picky at all about ammo so far, and I'm getting much more accurate with it, but it still shoots a little to the left. Maybe just my hold or something. I'm going to get one or two of my buddies to shoot it and see what it does for them. It's more than accurate enough for self defense.
I added a lasergrip to it, but really haven't practiced much at all with it; I want to be comfortable with the open sights first. Thanks again for all the feedback.