New XD today

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > New XD today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 04:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New XD today

Just picked up my XDcompact .45 today and hope to go to the range Monday. I had been carrying my wife's Taurus .38 special since I got my GFL, but I really really wanted a semi auto.

I shot my brother's XD in Minnesota last week and upgraded my 9mm desire to a .45 (plus I don't think my wife will take the XD and give me the .38 cause the .45 will have too much recoil). Anyway this is a big step for a one time liberal who just walked out of the Conservative closet.

I did find out during my no ammunition exploration of this handgun, that the slide stop lever is brutally hard to release. At times I actually had to use both thumbs to release the slide. The spring is very strong and I am thinking that with a little wear the slide stop level will smooth out. I know my brothers is a simple flick of the thumb. Am I right about it getting smoother or should I make a holster for a conceal carry ball peen hammer?
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-12-2009, 07:49 AM   #2

Congrats, I have an XD40sc and love it. The recoil in the sub compact .40 I have is minimal. The XD's are great pistols, enjoy and post a range report! As far the slide stop goes I always slingshot my slide so I haven't noticed it.

We can't stop here...this is bat country.

Μολὼν λάβε
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Last edited by Stealie; 07-12-2009 at 08:00 AM.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations and welcome to the world of firearms. They're like potato chips...you can't just have one.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-13-2009, 01:11 AM   #4

Congrats - I am already planning my next XD....

- Mossberg 500 12G Tactical: Adjustable stock + pistol grip
- Springfield XD-45ACP, 4" Service Model

Still don't know nuthin', but I'm a-learnin!