Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   XD Forum (
-   -   New XD today (

markhk 07-12-2009 04:12 AM

New XD today
Just picked up my XDcompact .45 today and hope to go to the range Monday. I had been carrying my wife's Taurus .38 special since I got my GFL, but I really really wanted a semi auto.

I shot my brother's XD in Minnesota last week and upgraded my 9mm desire to a .45 (plus I don't think my wife will take the XD and give me the .38 cause the .45 will have too much recoil). Anyway this is a big step for a one time liberal who just walked out of the Conservative closet.

I did find out during my no ammunition exploration of this handgun, that the slide stop lever is brutally hard to release. At times I actually had to use both thumbs to release the slide. The spring is very strong and I am thinking that with a little wear the slide stop level will smooth out. I know my brothers is a simple flick of the thumb. Am I right about it getting smoother or should I make a holster for a conceal carry ball peen hammer?

Stealie 07-12-2009 07:49 AM

Congrats, I have an XD40sc and love it. The recoil in the sub compact .40 I have is minimal. The XD's are great pistols, enjoy and post a range report! As far the slide stop goes I always slingshot my slide so I haven't noticed it.

CA357 07-12-2009 03:18 PM

Congratulations and welcome to the world of firearms. They're like potato can't just have one. ;)

Succinct 07-13-2009 01:11 AM

Congrats - I am already planning my next XD....