New XD today

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > New XD today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 03:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New XD today

today I picked up my new XD compact .45 and some ammunition. 50 rounds of Fiocchi 45A 230 grm. FMJ and 25 rounds of Remingtion Golden Saber .45 ACP (+P) and a cleaning kit. This may not seem like a big deal for most folks, but for a liberal just out of the conservative closet, it has been a long trip. Thirty years ago or so, I shot a hole in our house showing my wife how safe a borrowed .38 would be with an empty chamber up next in the cylinder. I was well versed with the safety rules and broke one of the basic ones just to prove my point. From that time on, I was convinced that I was too stupid to handle a fire arm. Well that is history and after couple of classes, along with the counsel of several experienced shooters, I am into a new phase. Goes to prove that even at 66 it is not too late to restart. With a lot more ammunition, much more practice, and my recent GFL, I can carry with caution and confidence.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

One side note please. When I worked with the XD tonight (no ammunition just checking the mechanics) I noticed that the slide stop lever was incredibly stiff and I have to use both thumbs to release the slide. I shot my brothers XD last month and there was no problem. Short of wearing an additional holster with a ball peen hammer in it, can I assume this will get easier with a bit of use?
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-13-2009, 02:14 AM   #2

Yes it will. Like many other brand new guns they are going to be stiff at the beggining. I'm glad to hear you "came out of the closet" . Good for you. I'm not sure about it but I believe the XD owner manual should tell you how long it takes to break in the gun. Training is very important. Good luck.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:07 AM   #3

Good for you coming back around, and good that you go some training. As for the slid stop on your gun. It is just that, a slid stop not a slid release. It is used to stop the slid after the last round or open the chamber for safety, cleaning and such. When placing the gun back into battery you should take hold of the top of the slid with you none grip hand and pull back. Do not ride the slid just let it go. You will not hurt it, trust me they are made for that. Other then that train and be safe.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #4

Thanks. That makes perfect sense once you said "a slide stop not a slide release." I bet it was on a rental 9mm XD that I got the idea it was a release (probably less spring pressure there). I talked to my brother and contrary to what I posted, his is still hard to release. We must have been using the slide pull back method without realizing it. He is an experienced shooter and I just copied him. You post has reminded my that as in woodworking you must know the tool itself as well as how to use it.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Congratulations! I bet you will really enjoy this pistol, if you can find enough ammo to keep it fed.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:15 AM   #6

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Congrats on a great gun. I love mine. Also, congrats on coming out of the closet. Nothing compares to solid education on any topic.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:46 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome to the Dark Side.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams