New XD for me!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > New XD for me!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New XD for me!

As of today I'm a proud new owner of an XD9 v10 Service Model.

Can't wait to get some range time with my newest addition.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Congrats on the new purchase. Looking forward to a range report and some pictures....

JD

Old 12-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Congratulations!! The XD is a wonderful platform, I nearly bought the XD but purchased the Taurus 24/7 9mm last month instead. I'm interested in what aspects of the pistol settled you on your purchase?

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:06 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Congrats. Nothing better than bringing a brand new pistol home. I hope you enjoy it. Since it's an XD I'm sure you will.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So far I've been bust with work and the family. So range time may be a week or 2 away. I'll be taking 2 weeks off around Christmas.

I'll see if I can get some pics up in a day or two. I ultimately decided on the XD for a few reasons.

First, I've done lot's of reading and most reports seem positive for this platform. I know there were some rust concerns early on in production but that seems to have been resolved or at least a rarer occurence.

Second, (and maybe most important) the handgun fit my hand well and I like the overall fit and finish. I've shot many 9mm, .40s and a couple .45 platforms. Many don't fit my hand well out of the box.

Third, the XD package seemed a good value based on other handgun packages. Once you add in the extras like a lock, holster, mag carrier.

Fourth, I wanted to get a 2nd 9mm to have as a backup for my trusty Ruger P85. It's been my regular range gun for 20+ years. I know it's not the prettiest or most high tech weapon out there but I shoot it well and it has been 100% reliable. I'm hoping the XD will prove the same. On that same note I will be sending my P85 in for a safety/firing pin mechanism replacement. I've not experienced the failure noted on Ruger's site but it's a free update.

If the XD performs as expected I'll likely consider picking up a XD tactical in .45ACP. A .45 autoloader (make to be determined) and a Ruger GP100 in .357 are on my wish list for next year.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You're going to "Ruv it rong time." As for the kit, you'd pay a grunch to buy those items individually, even though the holster needs a mod to make it less sloppy on your belt.
It would be a great value with a lesser gun, but all that on top of what is sure to be a legend, you couldn't go wrong.
Get them pics up!

Old 12-08-2008, 03:09 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Congratulations on your purchase. Post a pic of it with your Ruger for comparison. I have a P85 also, but mine is an MKII and didn't need the recall. Thanks for the heads up though.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great first purchase. Mine was also the XD 9mm 5". Good learning and forever use gun, easy to maintain, very accurate, and comfortable.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:43 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks all. I printed but failed to read the fine print on the Ruiger safety fix. Mine is indeed a MKII so no fix needed for me!

I'll take a pic tonight and get it posted with the Ruger for comparison. I've also have several different brands of ammo I plan to run through it to see what works best.

As for the holster it seems ok but I don't have a "real" gunbelt for it. Any suggestions on a sturdy setup?

I've been reading up on the the IDPA and that sounded very interesting. Seems like the closest clubs that are associated are about 2 hours away. I'm going to see if I can arrange a trip and give it a run with the XD and maybe the P85 as well. I downloaded the new shooters guide to read up and hope this will be a good learning experience for me.

thx again.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Some quick pics...