Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   XD Forum (
-   -   New XD for me! (

sinzitu 12-06-2008 04:02 PM

New XD for me!
As of today I'm a proud new owner of an XD9 v10 Service Model.

Can't wait to get some range time with my newest addition. :)

Dillinger 12-06-2008 06:07 PM

Congrats on the new purchase. Looking forward to a range report and some pictures....

dunerunner 12-06-2008 06:20 PM

Congratulations!! The XD is a wonderful platform, I nearly bought the XD but purchased the Taurus 24/7 9mm last month instead. I'm interested in what aspects of the pistol settled you on your purchase?

SGT-MILLER 12-07-2008 02:06 AM

Congrats. Nothing better than bringing a brand new pistol home. I hope you enjoy it. Since it's an XD I'm sure you will.

sinzitu 12-07-2008 01:30 PM

So far I've been bust with work and the family. So range time may be a week or 2 away. I'll be taking 2 weeks off around Christmas.

I'll see if I can get some pics up in a day or two. I ultimately decided on the XD for a few reasons.

First, I've done lot's of reading and most reports seem positive for this platform. I know there were some rust concerns early on in production but that seems to have been resolved or at least a rarer occurence.

Second, (and maybe most important) the handgun fit my hand well and I like the overall fit and finish. I've shot many 9mm, .40s and a couple .45 platforms. Many don't fit my hand well out of the box.

Third, the XD package seemed a good value based on other handgun packages. Once you add in the extras like a lock, holster, mag carrier.

Fourth, I wanted to get a 2nd 9mm to have as a backup for my trusty Ruger P85. It's been my regular range gun for 20+ years. I know it's not the prettiest or most high tech weapon out there but I shoot it well and it has been 100% reliable. I'm hoping the XD will prove the same. On that same note I will be sending my P85 in for a safety/firing pin mechanism replacement. I've not experienced the failure noted on Ruger's site but it's a free update.

If the XD performs as expected I'll likely consider picking up a XD tactical in .45ACP. A .45 autoloader (make to be determined) and a Ruger GP100 in .357 are on my wish list for next year. ;)

gorknoids 12-07-2008 10:31 PM

You're going to "Ruv it rong time." As for the kit, you'd pay a grunch to buy those items individually, even though the holster needs a mod to make it less sloppy on your belt.
It would be a great value with a lesser gun, but all that on top of what is sure to be a legend, you couldn't go wrong.
Get them pics up!

Texanbybirth 12-08-2008 03:09 AM

Congratulations on your purchase. Post a pic of it with your Ruger for comparison. I have a P85 also, but mine is an MKII and didn't need the recall. Thanks for the heads up though.

741512th 12-08-2008 06:18 PM

Great first purchase. Mine was also the XD 9mm 5". Good learning and forever use gun, easy to maintain, very accurate, and comfortable.

sinzitu 12-08-2008 09:43 PM

Thanks all. I printed but failed to read the fine print on the Ruiger safety fix. Mine is indeed a MKII so no fix needed for me! :rolleyes:

I'll take a pic tonight and get it posted with the Ruger for comparison. I've also have several different brands of ammo I plan to run through it to see what works best.

As for the holster it seems ok but I don't have a "real" gunbelt for it. Any suggestions on a sturdy setup?

I've been reading up on the the IDPA and that sounded very interesting. Seems like the closest clubs that are associated are about 2 hours away. I'm going to see if I can arrange a trip and give it a run with the XD and maybe the P85 as well. I downloaded the new shooters guide to read up and hope this will be a good learning experience for me.

thx again.

sinzitu 12-08-2008 10:54 PM

Some quick pics...