Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > New XD 9 Subcompact

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 12:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New XD 9 Subcompact

Kind of a noob here. Lotsa lurking, very little posting. But I just bought my fiance an XD 9 Subcompact, and I thought I'd take a few minutes to share my impressions, along with a couple of photos from the inaugural range visit. Long story short, I really like this gun. And, more importantly, she likes it VERY much. We originally went out in search of a Glock, either a 19 or a 26. I'm not a big fan of Glocks in general (just personal preference), but she handled one previously and liked the way it felt in her hand. And, given Glock's reputation for reliability, those were on the short list. As it turns out, the shop we ended up in didn't have the G-26 in stock, so we took a look at the XD Sub. She was immediately impressed with the added grip safety since this may end up being a CCW pistol. And I have to say, the trigger on the XD is WAY better than the Glock. So we walked out of the shop with the XD, with 2 mags, and the minimally functional XD gear for just under $500. As cute as this little pistol is, where it really shined (shone?) was at the range. She took to it immediately. Nice sights, very manageable recoil, and zero malfunctions shooting some cheap MFS ammo.

Here are a few pics:

1. Like I said, she took to it immediately
2. Every now and then, you get tired of punching holes, and you just have to shoot at something that goes "clang" when you hit it.
3. This is my 14 year old daughter. Like I said, very manageable recoil.
4. Yours truly. I just had to post this "slide back" pic. I preferred shooting with the extended mag. Without it, my pinkie didn't have a home.

Bottom line: Great gun. Most importantly, she likes it and is comfortable with it. I'm really glad they didn't have the Glock in stock

dsc00362.jpg   dsc00364.jpg   dsc00376.jpg   dsc00358.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2010, 12:54 AM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm a big fan of both SA's; Single Action, and Springfield Armory. Thanks for the pics, Elemental!

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 05-13-2010, 02:07 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Nice, I'm glad you guys found and chose the better pistol imo. I love those xd subs! Thanks for the cool pics!

Old 05-13-2010, 05:02 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good choice.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-13-2010, 05:05 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Great pics, looks like you had as much fun as I did on my family fun shoot.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts

I think you made the right choice. IMO, the XD is the best polymer pistol on the market.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #7

Yeah, we're happy with our choice. She is very comfortable with the XD. She is able to field strip and clean it on her own. This may not seem like a big deal, but if you knew her.........

There was a customer in the shop where we bought it who just couldn't stop talking about how great the XD was. He said it was the best-shooting out-of-the-box pistol he's ever had. It seems like there's always someone standing over your shoulder who is willing to contribute to the sales process. But in this case, it was nice to hear from someone who owned one.

We did have a fun day. It's always a struggle to find things that we can do together. I'm glad we have a place to shoot that's outdoors. The indoor range experience really doesn't foster a love of shooting.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:43 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

It's kind of fun to break one down and reassemble it while talking to someone, because it is so quick and easy. Lock the slide back and say "Knock Knock", and by the time they say "Who's there?", it's already back together.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 05-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #9

I don't know if she's good enough to field-strip the thing in the span of a knock-knock joke.....yet. But she's working on it. She has really taken a shine to this pistol. She is all about familiarizing herself with it, and learning to shoot it the best she can.

Would she have liked a Glock just as much? Who knows? But I think we made the right choice. And I have none of the post-actually-buying-a-Glock remorse to deal with

Old 05-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #10

Nice pics and nice weapon. My wife has a DB .380 right now but she really, really wants to get an XD sc so I guess that's gonna be the next purchase.

Semper Fi