Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > New XD 40 - 13 rd mag stiffness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 03:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Default New XD 40 - 13 rd mag stiffness

Recently purchased an XD 40 S & W with 12 rd mags. Initially getting 12 rounds in the mag required a lot of effort, I had to resort to a speed loader to compress the spring and follower to get the 11th and 12th round in.

Now when I insert the magazine it does not fully engage against the retainer clip. If I apply extra pressure it will "click" in place but the pressure against the clip is such that the magazine will not drop when the release button is pushed. This only happens when the 12th round is in the mag.

My questions are: Is this normal and will it ease up as the springs loosen up? why the 12th round sinced the top round always occupies the same space? What could the top round be pressing up against that is causing the excess tension?

Thanks for any replies.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2547 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Stiffness in loading handgun magazines to full capacity is not uncommon. I presume you are referring to the magazine catch/release when you refer to the "retaining clip". If the slide is closed and you try to insert a full mag, many guns have this difficulty. Lock the slide open and insert the magazine. it should click in with ease. Pull the slide to the rear and release it to chamber a round and the gun is ready to go.
As everything settles in you will be able to top off the magazine.

Never drop a round into the chamber and close the slide. This will eventually damage the extractor. Ammo should only be loaded into the chamber via the magazine.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Last edited by robocop10mm; 08-28-2009 at 02:31 PM.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

No, that is not normal. I've had several XDs and have shot many. I have never seen the problem you are discribing. To me it sounds like you might have the wrong magazine.
Please clarify something for me, is it a 12 or 13 round mag? If it's a 13 round, I'd be willing to bet thats your problem but since you said it works with 1 less in the mag I'm not sure. The only 13 rd mag is for the 45ACP and it is different from all the other models. My understanding was that the 45acp mag was slightly larger and wouldn't fit in the other caliber guns but it wasn't an issue with the mag release, it was a dimentions issue. The mag should be marked, check it just to make sure.

Give Springfield a call, they should fix that for you. I wouldn't recommend shooting the gun until you get it resolved.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Robo, I value your advice but I have never had an issue loading a full mag into an XD or XDm. I'm not saying you're wrong here, I'm just concerned there is a bigger issue here.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My XD has a 13 round Mag, it was a little stiff on loading at first, but as the rounds were fed through it, it lossened up so you can hand load all 13 with not much effort.As far as putting the Mag in with slide closed, never noticed a problem with it, althouth dont do it much, slide is open the majority of the time.

The mags for the XD 45 are thicker, the rounds go off to the side as they go down into the Mag, and at the top, it narrows to just a single round, dont know if is is called a double stack or not.have put over 1000 rounds through it with no malfunctions at al.

Layton

Old 08-29-2009, 03:43 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify, it is a 12 round 40 S&W not a 13 rnd 45. Yes, i was referring to the magazine catch/release but it was late and retaining clip is what came out.

I tend to think it is just a breakin issue but to be safe I will have a smith look it over next time I take it out to the range. Thanks again for the advice.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #7

I had the same issues with mine - it's a break-in thing. All works well now. And I still use the loader since it just makes it easier to me.

- Mossberg 500 12G Tactical: Adjustable stock + pistol grip
- Springfield XD-45ACP, 4" Service Model

Still don't know nuthin', but I'm a-learnin!

Old 08-30-2009, 03:53 AM   #8

How long, or how many rounds, did it take to loosen up. Reason I ask is that I have about 400 rnds through the gun but I have never used it with a full 12 rnd load-out. I always like to keep it to 10 rnds at the range since it's easier to load without having to get those last 2 in the mag.

Thanks

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington