Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > New gun won't go bang

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default New gun won't go bang

I was looking this web over and noticed--Gorknoids (on 3-14)--had the
same problem I had today with my brand new 9mm XD. I encountered very light striker hits on the primers....so light that the gun did not fire. I cleaned the gun prior to shooting it---just like the gun store owner said .
New ammo was used and several fellas at the range suggested that I use some of their ammo...they thought that my Federal ammo might have been bad. NO, all ammo responded with the same end result----no bang !
I have been told to switch the striker spring to a Wolf brand. Is this usual
for a brand new gun ?
The gun store owner told me that the XD was "bullet proof" ,I didn't think he was referring to the gun "not shooting" ! Does anyone have any suggestions ? I can't tear the gun down to fix it,I don't know how,and wonder if I bought a "problem child".
I intend to take a CCW class and carry this thing. Am I starting off on
the wrong foot altogether ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I'd ask your dealer to return the gun to Springfield. If he won't do that, call Springfield yourself, and insist that they issue a call tag and have the gun picked up and returned at their expense.

By the way, welcome to the forum, and I'm sorry you had the problem.

Just my two cents

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 03-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #3

Take it back to the shop where you got it and see if they will take it back.I just got the XDM 9mm and had the same problem.I have the XD 40 sub compact and have nothing but praise for it,but the XDM really was a dissapointment.My gunshop is pretty good about letting me exchange non working guns.Let us know how you are treated by Springfield Armory as I have never had to send one back to them.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:29 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have just returned from the dealer,------and after a battle royal--I have been told that firearms are not returnable and the factory will have to honor their warranty !
I appreciate your comments and I agree that the dealer bears some responsibility for products he sells,in as much, as he is an agent for the manufacturer by holding himself as a Springfield Authorized Dealer.
Guess I'll try the factory --and let you all know what happens...especially after hearing that I am not alone with the misfire dilema.
One way or another I don't believe that this gun is worthy of filling a CCW
niche !
While I'am inquiring......does anyone have suggestions regarding a REAL
gun W/unquestionable CCW credentials ? Hopefully there is truly a "bullet proof "weapon of some description. Thanks guys--for caring enough to reply--
which is far more than the dealer was willing to do !

Last edited by ladyM; 03-16-2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: spelling (don't you know ! )

Old 03-16-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyM View Post
I have just returned from the dealer,------and after a battle royal--I have been told that firearms are not returnable and the factory will have to honor their warranty !
I appreciate your comments and I agree that the dealer bears some responsibility for products he sells,in as much, as he is an agent for the manufacturer by holding himself as a Springfield Authorized Dealer.
Guess I'll try the factory --and let you all know what happens...especially after hearing that I am not alone with the misfire dilema.
One way or another I don't believe that this gun is worthy of filling a CCW
niche !
While I'am inquiring......does anyone have suggestions regarding a REAL
gun W/unquestionable CCW credentials ? Hopefully there is truly a "bullet proof "weapon of some description. Thanks guys--for caring enough to reply--
which is far more than the dealer was willing to do !
IF you used a "card" to pay for the pistol, then STOP the payment. I had this happen also, once the pament was stopped all of a sudden the dealer became real friendly... since he didn't get paid and I still had the pistol. It's amazing how a stop payment will change peoples attitude!

Old 03-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey Mark--------
That has turned out to be a wonderful idea-I disputed the transaction
through my CC co.----I'll let you know more as I do---The card co. was VERY helpful !
THANKS AGAIN---------------------

Old 03-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Latest update----------I informed the dealer of my disputed purchase and he has agreed to speak with me about possible solutions to the problem !
Here I go --back to the dealer. I'll let you know--------

Old 03-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #8

ladyM I hope it all works out. You could try a baby Glock

Best of luck lil lady

Old 03-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think this is the 3rd "out of the box" major gripe I've heard about the XD 9. Tow FTF's and one where the slide lock didn't engage after the last round.
I was intentionally shooting mine dirty, so I can't really blame the gun, but I'ma check out some other sites to see if other people are experiencing these failures.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If you are still wondering which design will give the best performance for the dollar, here's your answer:

The 1911 of course