Nervous about strikers - XD vs FN 45 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Nervous about strikers - XD vs FN 45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor View Post
Are you sure about that? A sledge hammer might be enough force to break it off the lip of metal holding the stricker back?

The scenario is dropping the loaded gun perhaps onto a rock so that all the force is on the indicator sticking out.

The trigger safety keeps the trigger from being pulled. Is the other mechanism like the grip safety engaging the striker?
Great news! I found the answer in the manual from their website.

Striker Block Safety - As an added safety feature, an
internal striker block will prevent the firearm from
firing until the grip safety is depressed and the trigger is pulled.

So, even if the force on the indicator were enough to dislodge it, the striker block would still be in place.
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 09-26-2011, 01:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
There is the trigger saftey, grip saftey, and a firing pin block. When the trigger is pulled the mechanism raises the firing pin block that allows the firing pin to move forward. So unless the two saftey mechanism on the outside of the firearm are depressed and then the trigger is pulled it should not be able to fire.
Thanks Firearms4ever. I didn't notice before that you answered my question too since I posted just a couple minutes after you and it flipped to a new page.

My deal went through, so now I have my new XDm 45! I think I really weighed all the choices pretty thoroughly and came up with the best choice. Thanks to everybody who answered my questions about the XD design.

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Last edited by Marthor; 09-26-2011 at 04:56 AM.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:02 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6035 Times on 3164 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Thanks Firearms4ever. I didn't notice before that you answered my question too since I posted just a couple minutes after you and it flipped to a new page.

My deal went through, so now I have my new XDm 45! I think I really weighed all the choices pretty thoroughly and came up with the best choice. Thanks to everybody who answered my questions about the XD design.

congrats!! i love mine!! let us know how ya like it after you get to run some rounds through it

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #24

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Taurus's "second strike" thing is largely a gimmick, IMO. Nobody with any training would ever try to just pull the trigger again on an auto that didn't go bang. :P .
I know this thread is done, but I had to comment on this.

I'm not sure that second strike thing is a gimmick. The U.S. military spec for a sidearm requires that a second trigger pull, and hammer strike, be possible for a failure to fire. That's why Glock, as good a military firearm as it could be, was never a contender for the U.S. military.

I personally like the idea of being able to pull the trigger again...but then I really prefer the striker mechanism even more. I have, on some cheaper DA mouse guns, had a circumstance where the gun did not fire, and the second trigger pull fired the round. I've also had some cases where three or four trigger pulls made no difference.

To date, though, I've not yet had a need for a second trigger pull on a SA XD9SC, Glock 19, or my current carry pistol, an XDm-45. But then, in combat conditions, guns can get dirty, ammo can get wet, and there are many conditions that make a second hammer strike capability a good idea. Remember, the Army goes to war with ammo supplied by the lowest bidder.

Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious. Then my police state would force everybody back to work."
-Paul Harvey, 1964
Guns? What guns? Oh, I haven't seen those since I left my garage door open one night by mistake.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowserb View Post
I know this thread is done, but I had to comment on this.:
Nonsense, this thread could gone on and on.

I submitted my online request for the bonus gear up promotion and got an approval email yesterday. I hope it arrives as fast as other people have reported.
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 09-28-2011, 02:58 AM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6035 Times on 3164 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowserb View Post
I know this thread is done, but I had to comment on this.

I'm not sure that second strike thing is a gimmick. The U.S. military spec for a sidearm requires that a second trigger pull, and hammer strike, be possible for a failure to fire. That's why Glock, as good a military firearm as it could be, was never a contender for the U.S. military.

I personally like the idea of being able to pull the trigger again...but then I really prefer the striker mechanism even more. I have, on some cheaper DA mouse guns, had a circumstance where the gun did not fire, and the second trigger pull fired the round. I've also had some cases where three or four trigger pulls made no difference.

To date, though, I've not yet had a need for a second trigger pull on a SA XD9SC, Glock 19, or my current carry pistol, an XDm-45. But then, in combat conditions, guns can get dirty, ammo can get wet, and there are many conditions that make a second hammer strike capability a good idea. Remember, the Army goes to war with ammo supplied by the lowest bidder.
the pentagon required second strike purely to rule out striker pistols and single actions. they designed the trial specifications to eliminate every firearm except the berreta 92 in order to meet procurement rules and still just hand the contract to berreta. the decision to go berreta was made before the trials.

the military pistol training and rifle training on misfire is to eject the failed round and chamber a fresh one. there is no manual of arms for a "second strike"

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #27

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the pentagon required second strike purely to rule out striker pistols and single actions. they designed the trial specifications to eliminate every firearm except the berreta 92 in order to meet procurement rules and still just hand the contract to berreta. the decision to go berreta was made before the trials.
Are you implying that a U.S. government agency was unduly influenced by an Italian arms company? Unbelievable.

I guess next you'll say that the president gave millions of taxpayer dollars to a bogus solar panel manufacturer, and that the BATFE assisted in the illegal export of thousands of guns to Mexican drug lords. Get real, man.

Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious. Then my police state would force everybody back to work."
-Paul Harvey, 1964
Guns? What guns? Oh, I haven't seen those since I left my garage door open one night by mistake.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I submitted my online request for the bonus gear up promotion and got an approval email yesterday. I hope it arrives as fast as other people have reported.
My experience with SA customer relations has been excellent. They respond to technical inquiries the same day. My 3 13-rd mags came in about five days by FedEx...and I wasn't actually qualified for the bonus mags, since my XDm-45 was purchased on August 12!

Let the group know your impressions after a couple trips to the range. I see from your signature that you have at least minimal pistol experience!

Bill
-Paul Harvey, 1964