Nervous about strikers - XD vs FN 45
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Nervous about strikers - XD vs FN 45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 01:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

Default Nervous about strikers - XD vs FN 45

I'm learning new stuff all the time. I've never even heard about "strikers" before until recently while really researching the XD.

The XDm 45 has a very good chance to be my next purchase, but I need some convincing I guess that strikers are reliable, durable and long-lasting, etc. and as good as hammers. All my handguns have hammers and I always assumed that guns like Glock and the XD just had an internal hammer.

In reading about the Taurus strikers, it says something about a hard primer may not ignite from a striker, so their design gives a second chance at hitting the primer without slide action. What's this mean? If a striker is less power than a hammer and may not initiate the primer, I don't like that at all!

So, can you give me some warm fuzzies or preferably some hard stats and facts that can build confidence in strikers, or are they really inferior to the good ol' hammer?

This striker issue could possibly be a deal breaker when I compare the XD to the FNP45 that has all my comfortable traditional functions of DA/SA and a hammer. If you have any other points of comparision between these two like perhaps a decocker, safety comparison would be helpful too.

Thanks!

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-15-2011, 01:15 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Strikers themselves aren't inherently any less reliable or durable. The main advantage of hammers is the increased control you have in regards to the firearm's ready condition.

Taurus's "second strike" thing is largely a gimmick, IMO. Nobody with any training would ever try to just pull the trigger again on an auto that didn't go bang. I think it started as an artifact of their original 24/7 and Millenium lines that were DAO (the trigger pull always cocked the striker, as opposed to the slide's motion doing it). I'd bet they just kept the DAO function and added the second sear for SA firing, and then just marketed it as an end-all solution to bad ammo.

Not hating on Taurus, of course, given I've got a loaded 24/7 OSS sitting on my desk right now :P .

Old 09-15-2011, 01:42 AM   #3

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

One of the best military firearms the US ever fielded was a striker fire.
The Browning Automatic Rifle used this system and it was loved by a couple of generations of soldiers.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 09-15-2011, 01:53 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5675 Times on 2963 Posts
Likes Given: 375

im a hardcore 1911 guy. i just picked up my new xdm 45. i settled on it mainly because the wife wanted a xdm 9mm for oc/ccw and i wanted a matching type she could use in a pinch.

we looked at the fnh but lots of reports i found with the fnh being ammo sensitive ruled it out along with the difficulty the wife and i had with all the ambi controls and how hard it was to operate. we didnt like the safety system. we both came to the conclusion the fnh was a no-go because it tried to do too much and cover all bases.

the reason for light strikes with striker guns is often the way you lighten the pull is to reduce the striker spring power. that leads to light strikes. the stock xdm will function just fine. its all striker style gun issue. personally i wouldnt try a trigger lightening on a striker gun that will be used for SD. shortening the pull and reset is one thing but messing with the poundage leads to light strikes.

i too think the restrike of the taurus is nothing but a gimmick. if the round doesnt go cycle the slide check the bore in case of lodged round and get a fresh one.

we settled on the xdm because of the grip safety and ease of use for the wife. no need to worry about the hammer or decocking a da/sa or swiping a safety off for her. for me its second nature im comfortable with any semi auto style. i can definately understand why striker guns are popular now that ive done some real research and gave the xdm a real try. my main issues with glock and M&P is there isnt a real safety device on them. i dont consider the trigger safety a safety. the xdm solves that for me by way of a grip safety. somehing getting caught in the trigger guard the gun wont go off like a glock or m&p will.

if my 1911 is in hand the safety is off leading to the same condition the xdm will be in while in hand. i feel comfy with the xdm its got a decent combat grade trigger and feels safe while in its holster.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-15-2011, 01:56 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The main advantage a hammer fired firearm like the 1911 or BHP is that you have a visual saftey of whether or not the hammer is cocked and ready to fire, and you also can manually cock or lower the hammer. Now many striker fired firearms do have visual safties like the cocking indicator and the trigger staying back in the uncocked position. I like both the striker and hammer fired firearms, and to paraphrase a friend of mine; the striker fired mechanism is reminiscent of a double action revolver. What he means by this is the trigger pull is similar to a double action, because you're finishing cocking the striker mechanism while you pull the trigger just like a double action cocks the hammer, and also that the trigger is more predictable regarding knowing where it will break, how it will break, and so on.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 09-15-2011, 02:17 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

the xdm has a visual indicator on the rear whether it is cocked or not. when its cocked unlike some other striker designs its fully cocked the trigger just releases the striker spring. thats why the xdm has a consistant pull short reset and predictable trigger break. i would describe it as a single action style more than anything else.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-15-2011, 02:23 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's very true about the XD(m). I agree that the XD(m)'s trigger is more like a single action, but something like a Ruger SR, Kahr, and even Glock are more like a double action in my opinion.

-Confederate Soldier

-Unknown

-Wyatt Earp

Old 09-15-2011, 02:58 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
That's very true about the XD(m). I agree that the XD(m)'s trigger is more like a single action, but something like a Ruger SR, Kahr, and even Glock are more like a double action in my opinion.
true. thats a major reason i dont like them. too much like dao guns. i dont like dao guns its why ill never use a revolver for a SD firearm.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:12 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wouldn't prefer to use a revolver for self defence, but if I had to I would be comfortable with the double action pull. For me whether or not I like a striker fired firearm all depends on where the trigger breaks, how it breaks, and a few other things.

-Confederate Soldier

-Unknown

-Wyatt Earp

Old 09-15-2011, 03:32 AM   #10

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Unless you are holding a revolver the firing mechanism in your gun is technically a striker, the hammer on a semi-auto never makes direct contact with the primer. Only difference is whether the spring force causes the hammer to impact the striking mechanism or whether the spring tensions the striking mechanism directly.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington