Need XD .40 help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Need XD .40 help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need XD .40 help

I am looking at getting one of these but am somewhat confused on the different models. I am interested in a 4". I see taht some come with 10rd., 12 rd. or 15 rd. capacities. Are these just different mags or different guns alltogether? What are the different models and advantages?

The website for them does not clear much up.

thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

In the 4" or service model you'll have two models. One will be compliant with California and one with the rest of the US. The larger capacity mag is allowed in other states but I believe California has a 10rd limit. If you get a 3" or Sub Compact you'll have a short mag and an extended one.

I could be wrong on this but I believe XD40 has a 12rd capacity(10 in Cali) in the service model. The 15rd would a 9mm pistol.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #3

Springfield XDM9202HCSP 40SW Melonite for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $566.00

this shows one with a 16 rd. mag

Old 01-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndtiger View Post
I am looking at getting one of these but am somewhat confused on the different models. I am interested in a 4". I see taht some come with 10rd., 12 rd. or 15 rd. capacities. Are these just different mags or different guns alltogether? What are the different models and advantages?

The website for them does not clear much up.

thanks
XDs come in three basic barrel lengths 3", 4" and 5", compact, sub-compact and full size grip lengths, and several calibers including: 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP, XDms are available in .40 and 9mm only. The combination of caliber and grip size limits capacity, however, as stated, several states artificially restrict mag capacity. To overcome this, many of the major gunmakers produce 10 round magazines which also serve as the standard mag in their conceal carry size weapons.

Even guns wth a short grip can accomodate a larger capacity magazine by the use of an Xtension boot that covers up the bare metal hanging out of the grip and gives you a better hold on a now longer grip, short grips are hell on guys with big hands. Guns by design have no inherent capacity, in fact the capacity of every semi-auto made is 1 round, the rest are held in the magazine until chambered.

Barrel length affects accuracy due to the longer sight radius on a longer barrel. It also has an affect on muzzle velocity. In general a longer barrel is more accurate at distance and the bullet leaves the muzzle at a higher fps. The other side of the coin is concealment, longer barrels are harder to conceal and more training is required to cleanly draw a longer barrel from a holster.

In your example, the 10 round was either a CA compliant or a subcompact, the 12 round was a full size XD and the 16 round was an XDm. Sprindfield also makes a .45 ACP compact that ships with a 10 rnd and a 13 rnd magazine, 2 10 rnds for CA.

Best advice I can give is to try out a few different models and see what feels best to you, whether 4" or 5" is an issue and what grip you are comfortable with.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-04-2010, 01:09 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

jpyle is right, I forgot about the XDm, it has a 16rd capacity in a 40.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer