Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   My XDs-Trouble Free (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/my-xds-trouble-free-70225/)

TrooperJoe 08-13-2012 04:41 PM

My XDs-Trouble Free

Bought mine last month and last Friday was my first time to the range.

80 + rounds (50 ball ammo and 30 various kinds of hp def. ammo) and absolutely no problems. Very, very accurate. I ended up with a 21 foot (7 yard combat range) one ragged hole size of a quarter.

Before I went to the range, I cleaned and inspected the striker and striker hole as well as lubing the slide rail with molybdenum grease (the old "Dry Slide"- Vietnam era fix all).

New Glocks come with similar grease/lubricant on their sliderails and that seems to work very well.

Just retired my new S&W Shield for a while and decided to carry this SDs. Ordered a 7 round mag from Springfield today and will carry that as a spare magazine when I get it.

My carry ammo of choice is Remington 185 grain hp defense ammo (non +P) and it also seems to be very accurate. However, the gun fed 230 grain Rem hp ammo, and Federal 200 grn hp defense +P ammo just as well.

Good job Springfield.

Trooper Joe

chltx2203 10-09-2012 02:52 PM

I just purchased the XDs 45 with all the candy from SA and the extended magazine. Sweet piece and my fav carry now.

mag318 10-11-2012 02:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just picked up this XDs and was impressed by it's accuracy. The thing is the same size as my Shield but in 45 acp. Great pistol that I highly recommend.

mussmuggins 10-14-2012 07:52 PM

Keep hearing recoil is a Bear, but nobody will admit it.

mag318 10-14-2012 10:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You definately know your shooting a 45 but it's not a bear. I'd say it's on par with my friends M&P40c with heavy loads, and less than his M&P357c. I was actually surprised it wasn't heavier. Take a look at several YouTube videos like Hickok45 or Military Arms Channel to get an idea. My first range session my friend and I put well over 300 rounds through it with no ill effect.
The grip is agressively checkered but it's not sharp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mussmuggins (Post 976593)
Keep hearing recoil is a Bear, but nobody will admit it.

SSGN_Doc 10-14-2012 10:39 PM

I've fired a friend's XDs. I didn't think the recoil was a bear, but did find that the grip liked to slide around in my hand under recoil. More aggressive checkering or stippling might help. For recoil control and follow up shots. I did find that it was accurate, but not sure it's a perfect carry piece out of the box.

mag318 10-14-2012 10:42 PM

This XDs may be a perfect candidate for some Talon rubberized grips like Hickok 45 uses.

chltx2203 10-17-2012 04:30 PM

Just installed Talon rubberized to my XDs. Nice addition.

mag318 10-17-2012 05:41 PM

I have Talon grips on my Shield and I think they are a great addition to any polymer framed pistol,

sweeper22 10-19-2012 05:10 PM

I was 1st in line for an XDs-45 at my LGS, back when they were announced in January. I literally walked in and requested 'dibs' the day news hit the WWW. They still haven't got any in. I passed when one of the local competitors had them in stock for $600 a few months back. I try really hard to be loyal. But today I walked into the local Fred Meyer (think Walmart/Target if you're not in the PacNW), and they had one for $569. It is mine. I'll go take my name off the LGS's list in an hour or two. No biggie...they're not going to have any trouble moving them if they ever arrive. But would've preferred they earn my $$. I'm a little disappointed Springfield didn't do a better job of filling a demand they knew would exist.

So it's finally in hand. Probably won't be till Tuesday that I can run it through its paces and see how it measures up to my S&W M&P Shield (9mm).

I love the Shield. My guess is the XDs will prove to be a keeper as well. I've yet to find anything lacking in the XD/XDm lineup. I mostly prefer 1911s and other metal-framed guns (CZ, Sig, BHP), own a Gblock (it's a fine gun, BTW), and have shot a few HKs...but XDm and M&P are my tupperware of choice.