My XDs bubble has burst

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > My XDs bubble has burst

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default My XDs bubble has burst

Well, I read all the reviews and watched the videos, and I got an XDs 45 anyway. The first 50 rounds produced two light strikes. I read about the death grip you have to keep on this gun in order to avoid that. So I chalked them up to the learning curve. Took it home, cleaned & lubed, added Trijicon HD sights, and Talon rubber grips. Back to the range for more break-in. 3 light strikes and two trigger reset failures. So the lemon (I mean gun) is on its way back to SA.

I will say the CS was very pleasant to deal with and efficient. I received another call tonight for some more in-depth information. I am very pleased with their level of interest in this issue and hope they are successful in identifying and fixing the problem. I will say these guns will go out of battery (round chambered) with the slightest backward pull of the slide 1/8 - 1/4". SA confirmed this over the phone tonight. This happens every time a round is chambered. Personally, I see this as a design flaw and potential issue on the draw. I can imagine a scenario where the gun gets pushed down slightly while holstered going out of battery making it inoperable on the draw.

In my opinion, this gun has a design flaw in the recoil spring, the retractor, or both. Neither is likely related to my trigger reset issue. I hope they fix my gun, but how, or even if I carry it will require a lot of thought and shootin'. For what it's worth, I put snap caps in all my Glocks and Rugers and could not replicate the battery issue.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 35

It will be interesting to see what CS has to say and does.
I have an XD 45 Tactical and the recoil spring is pretty 'stout' to say the least.
Hard to see where re-holstering could cause the problem unless the holster is a problem.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycharlie2
It will be interesting to see what CS has to say and does. I have an XD 45 Tactical and the recoil spring is pretty 'stout' to say the least. Hard to see where re-holstering could cause the problem unless the holster is a problem.
ive never had a problem with my tactical xd 40 never any malfunctions in over 1000 rounds

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #4

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yea. I don't hear of this issue with XD, just the XDs model.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

mine requires a very stout grip to function reliably, much more firm than any other of my semi-autos. it also required a feed ramp polish and a light polish in the chamber. one more requirement was around 400 rounds to break her in. I just got her back after the long trip to the "mothership" and tested her out. after the absence I forgot the death grip and she reminded me. when I remembered she was again flawless.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My early production XDs hasn't had any issues, out of all the handguns I've owned Baby Desert Eagle .40(metal frame), Glock 23, Bodyguard 380, M&P 9c, XDs .45, and Glock 19 I've only had problems of any kind w the Desert Eagle and the G19. I hadn't yet sent my XDs in for the recall and it's been flawless w 1,000+ rounds so far and is my favorite so far.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #7

Liked 1128 Times on 733 Posts
Likes Given: 2015

Just hoping I get mine back soon. Was scheduled to have it back before Christmas but due to unforseen reasons I have longer to wait . Mine had several hundred rounds through it without one issue. Hope it comes back that way

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 12-18-2013, 01:36 AM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Mine is back from Springfield, yet to shoot it since the adjustment. Before sending it in I had developed some nice 'light' rounds to play with at the range. Hope they still work with the updated interior.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:24 AM   #9

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm really worried whatever "upgrades" they do will make it have issues?¿? I love mine as it is, tho during dry firing I have noticed the firing pin sticks out about 1 out of 3 times, it goes back in really easy but does make me a little nervous that it could possibly cause it to fire when chambering a round. Anyone know of any actual cases of any unintended firing due to a stuck firing pin?

Old 12-18-2013, 02:50 AM   #10

Liked 1128 Times on 733 Posts
Likes Given: 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock23taBG380ta View Post
I'm really worried whatever "upgrades" they do will make it have issues?¿? I love mine as it is, tho during dry firing I have noticed the firing pin sticks out about 1 out of 3 times, it goes back in really easy but does make me a little nervous that it could possibly cause it to fire when chambering a round. Anyone know of any actual cases of any unintended firing due to a stuck firing pin?
Never heard that, one issue was firing 2 rounds with one trigger pull . Supposedly those either did it out of the box or not at all . Some other issues were FTFire

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens