my xdm 40 is jamming. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > my xdm 40 is jamming.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 01:53 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmb1982 View Post
i shipped it off to springfield armory today for them to look at. as for the questions. yes they are all xdm 40 mags. says it on the floor plate and a round count of 16 on the back. as far as parts of it being for a 9mm. i cant say for certain no. didnt take a mic to anything. but the pistol does fire and eject spent cases. i field strippd in many times and didnt notice any burrs anywhere. there are parts with a fairly sharp edge but it feels smooth to the touch. mags insert and drop free with ease. with the full 16 rounds in the mag and slide closed it is fairly hard to press the mag release button. when i work the slide slowly by hand the shells are spit out of the side. though when i was fireing it a few emptys did land on the top of my head.

looking at it with a fried at the range the opinion of it was that the extractor was to tight and didt give the rim enough space to reliable slide up under it.
Josh, every new (or new to me) autoloader I get I measure the extractor pressure. I have shims for different calibers and a trigger pull scale. Ejectors do not have a specific pressure setting. Most are process controlled during production and some manufacturers tune them during final inspection.

So why do I measure them? Because it gives me a baseline and when I go out to shoot I pay attention to how the gun spits the empties and determine if the slide cycle speed is correct. If the hot brass doesn't hit me in the head or go down my t-shirt I'm happy. Now a week or year later if the gun exhibits FTE or starts to smack me with hot casings I will go back to my records, re-measure and compare. If there is a shift I know which direction to go. (more or less pressure) Oh yea, I check the recoil spring for breaks or loss of length.

That's why I like the 1911. It is so tunable. I get a kick out of shooters that complain about getting hit in the head with hot brass. Fix it! If the gun is running well other than the brass LZ change or replace the recoil spring. (read: cycle speed change) Or tweak the extractor pressure. (read: more pressure holds the brass longer while engaging the ejector and less pressure allows the brass to fly sooner)

Rule # 1. This ain’t rocket science.
Rule # 2. Don’t tell anyone that. Be the wizard!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-18-2009, 02:07 AM   #22

with the brass hitting me in the head i think was more it bouncing off the plexiglass to my right and hitting me as it only happened once. as the shooting lanes at the pistol range are fairly tight. when im standing there shooting the plexiglass is mabye 18 inches to either side of me.
how do you measure the extractor pressure? this pistol has no FTE problems. spits them out nicely when it loads properly.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #23

I had the same problem with my new XDM 40,
It was happening with every round..

I cleaned it and put a drop of oil on the ramp and it fired fifty rounds with no problem,
Took it to the range again last weekend and let my son put 100 rounds through it(no extra oil this time)
Not one problem, Mine was just a break in problem!

Old 09-23-2009, 02:34 AM   #24

I had a jam like this a little while back ago with a high standard 22. I could shoot one round and it would jam every round there after. Sent it to two gun smiths and was informed by both smiths that it was the magazines, so they sent it back with new magazines. Still jammed. I decided to take it apart when I noticed the firing pin was stuck in the open position. It acted as a wedge and would not let the second round feed correctly. jammed with the bullet halfway up into the ramp. just something to look at.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 09-23-2009, 02:39 AM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Good to hear. I have put about 2,000 rounds through mine with no failures. In fact, it just keeps getting more comfortable every time I go out. It was quite stiff upon purchase, I mean everything from trigger pull to mag loading. They just keep getting better.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:41 AM   #26

the pistol is brand new. mabye 100-150 rds throuugh it. hav not taken it to a smith. have sent it back to SA for them to look at.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Please update when you receive the gun back. I'm curious to see if they give an explanation.

My Dad was having feeding problems with a Kimber 1911, sent it in, got it back, they provided no details as to what the problem was, but now the gun is perfect.

I'm curious to see how SA handles these problems.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:06 PM   #28

i hate having this happen too. i only got my concealed carry liscense back in march and put a lot of thought into getting the xdm as my first pistol. never heard anything bad about them. asked around some forums about them , read every article i could find on it. heard nothing but positive reviews. theve had it a week now. they said would take 2-4 weeks for me to get it back. thanks for all the help guys il let you know how it turns out.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #29

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmb1982 View Post
i hate having this happen too. i only got my concealed carry liscense back in march and put a lot of thought into getting the xdm as my first pistol. never heard anything bad about them. asked around some forums about them , read every article i could find on it. heard nothing but positive reviews. theve had it a week now. they said would take 2-4 weeks for me to get it back. thanks for all the help guys il let you know how it turns out.
Colt Model O4860XSE Lightweight Commander! You can NOT do better!

You need more than 7+1, 230gr JHP get a body guard!!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 09-28-2009 at 08:33 PM.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

^^^ Tupperware don't rust.