my xdm 40 is jamming. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > my xdm 40 is jamming.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 01:23 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

also what would hollow points have to do with it. if you cant run hollowpoint defensive loads through a pistol what good is it?

Old 09-14-2009, 01:37 AM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Some guns do hang up with anything other than a round nose, not an XD problem. Hence some of those rounds with the polymer ball in the HP.

The best explanation I have to offer is that XD mags have an incredibly tough spring that needs to be broken in. You may have noticed how tough it was to load when you got it.

You could try to load- unload the mags about a dozen times to break the spring in. Sounds like the spring in the mag is pushing up faster than the slide can finish the cycle.

Beyond that, I'm at a loss.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:40 AM   #13

i have 5 mags for this pistol. each one has been under full load pressure since i got them in around may. specificaly to break in the springs.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:04 AM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Compression does not break in springs. Compression-decompressing does.

Try it with one. If that one runs with no problems, then you have your answer.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am at a complete loss on this issue. I have never heard of an XD having this issue. I agree with benning, it sounds almost like a mag issue. Did you buy it new? If so, I would try using just one maybe 2 mags and get them broken in a little, if that doesn't work give Springfield a call.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #16

Liked 1422 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You didn't drop the weapon or have some other shock occur did you?

I would not wait, call Springer and describe the issue. If they are aware of a fix, get it done! Don't suffer with it any longer.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #17

nope havent dropped it at all. only bumps its had is in the shoulder holster when i reach for stuff. im gonna give working the mags a try and see what that does. if that doesnt help ill call springfield armory and see what they have to say. thanks for all the advise guys. ill keep you posted .

Old 09-17-2009, 02:49 AM   #18

Liked 768 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 465

Have you tried a less than capacity load out of the mag. Try incrementing the number of rounds until you get to 16 and see if the problem only occurs with a full mag. I have heard that the XDM mag at capacity really puts a lot of pressure on both the mag release catch and the slide. The tension of the round pushing up on the slide may be slowing it down to the point you get a fail to feed.

I have a similar issue with a 40S&W XD where I cannot load a full 12 rounds to the mag.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-17-2009, 04:06 AM   #19

Liked 768 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 465

Not to belabor the point but a few more things to consider:

• Are the mags truly 40 S&W, never tried it but you might get a 40S&W round in a 9mm mag or a 45 ACP mag - factory or gunbroker.com may have shipped wrong mags
  • Are all parts 40S&W, frames are similar in many ways and may have come from factory with 9mm extracter - is gun new? if so, incorrect assembly may have occurred at factory otherwise someone may have upgraded something using low quality parts or done so incorrectly.
  • Any burrs or shavings visible in frame, casing fragments possibly binding casing as its loaded
  • does round eject from mag smoothly or flip upwards when you manually unload mag, upward flip may misalign round with barrel when fed causing jam
  • does mag drop freely when released. Does it seat correctly in mag well.
These all seem obvious but I have never heard of a pistol that just cannot load a round without some sort of visible damage or broken parts.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-17-2009, 11:23 PM   #20

i shipped it off to springfield armory today for them to look at. as for the questions. yes they are all xdm 40 mags. says it on the floor plate and a round count of 16 on the back. as far as parts of it being for a 9mm. i cant say for certain no. didnt take a mic to anything. but the pistol does fire and eject spent cases. i field strippd in many times and didnt notice any burrs anywhere. there are parts with a fairly sharp edge but it feels smooth to the touch. mags insert and drop free with ease. with the full 16 rounds in the mag and slide closed it is fairly hard to press the mag release button. when i work the slide slowly by hand the shells are spit out of the side. though when i was fireing it a few emptys did land on the top of my head.

looking at it with a fried at the range the opinion of it was that the extractor was to tight and didt give the rim enough space to reliable slide up under it.