Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   my xdm 40 is jamming. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/my-xdm-40-jamming-18022/)

joshmb1982 09-14-2009 12:00 AM

my xdm 40 is jamming.

greetings all. got a problem with my SA xdm 40. i got my ccw and bought this pistol back in march. a few weeks later i put some rounds down range without a hiccup. took it out for the 2nd time today and am having nothing but trouble with it. the ammo i was using is fiocchi 155gr hornady xtp hollow pointswith a nickel casing, 165gr fmj-fn from georgia arms(factory reloads), and federal 180gr fmj-fp.

the problem is it doesnt want to properly feed rounds from the mag into the chamber. ive tried 3 different mags so thats not it. the problem started at the range and was told i was probly "limp wristing it". which it seems i was. when i stifened up my wrists and held on a bit tighter itn ran fine. also ive only put around 100+- rds total through this pistol.

so i get home and take it apart run a boresnake through the barrel going both ways. oil everything and whipe it clean. cleaned off anything that looked like it was dirty. put it back together locked the slide back inserted a mag hit the release and it jammed again. can i limp wrist it when loading the 1st round??

what the jam looks like is:
as the slide comes forward and strips a round ut of the mag the bullet come up the ramp and just begins to slide into the chamber and it stops. i can see the rim of the casing is inline with the extractor but it wont slide up and complete the cycle.

ive never heard anything but good about the xd series of pistols. thats why i bought one. so anyone know what gives?

canebrake 09-14-2009 12:32 AM

Is the extractor too tight?

Is there anything on the breech face?

rifleman1 09-14-2009 12:34 AM

it might just be the hollow points your using try running some flat nosed rounds see what happens, keep us updated.

joshmb1982 09-14-2009 12:46 AM

i did use flat nosed rounds as well. sorry but thats what i ment by 165 gr fmj-fp(flat point)

the first time a took the pistol out it worked fine. how do i tell if the extractor is to tight? and everything is clean. no debris anywhere.

Benning Boy 09-14-2009 12:50 AM

That's just weird. I've never heard of this happening with this gun.

Feed ramp smooth?

:confused::confused::confused:

joshmb1982 09-14-2009 12:52 AM

yes. far as i can tell anyway. and doesnt do it every single time. but more then enough to worrie me. probly close to 50% of the time.

Benning Boy 09-14-2009 12:56 AM

Does the round completely clear the magazine?

joshmb1982 09-14-2009 12:58 AM

yes. i hit the mag release button drop the mag out and the ruond stays in place. it doesnt move untill i pull the slide rearward and lock it in place. and even then i sometimes have to put a cleaning rod down the barrel to push the live round out as it is slightly stuck.

Benning Boy 09-14-2009 01:04 AM

This is gonna bug me now.

Did you get it from a small shop, big chain, place with an in house gunsmith?

joshmb1982 09-14-2009 01:08 AM

ordered it off of gunbroker. had it sent to a small local ffl dealer near my town. i just ran 2 mags through it working the slide manually. slowly. and it didnt happen once. wth is going on with this thing?