Mixed reviews on Springfield XDs - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Mixed reviews on Springfield XDs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota
Trigger control is probably the issue. See if you can get some professional instruction. You don't want to spend a lot of rounds learning bad habits. Took me over 1000-1500 rounds to stop anticipating (well, mostly) and that was with 9mm. 45 hits harder and the natural response is to anticipate the recoil by pushing the muzzle down just as the trigger is breaking.

Kudos on two points, though. One, tight groups are a great start. Two, self-honesty is a rare trait. Keep shooting!
Any pointers on how to avoid the "anticipation dip"?? I heard Grissom on his radio show advise to put snap caps in random stacking & "embarrassment" will keep you from repeat dipping! Doesn't work for me? I know I do it, just can't seem to break the bad habit! Thanks

Old 01-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #42

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BClayton357

I ordered some extensions, still waiting on those, but did pickup some 7- round extended mags. That might have helped. I do seem to be doing a little better each time out.
Any issue w/the 7 mags? My slide lock will not release w/a fully loaded mag? Take a round out & it's fine....I've heard of other issues w/slide hanging up but none like my situation w/only full mags?

Old 01-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #43

Liked 123 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default No issue 7 round magazine

when you buy 7 round magazines they come with two mag. extenders. Carry with the 5 use the 7 as tactical reload.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:44 AM   #44

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz60

Any issue w/the 7 mags? My slide lock will not release w/a fully loaded mag? Take a round out & it's fine....I've heard of other issues w/slide hanging up but none like my situation w/only full mags?
Both seven round mags have been fine. Worked just as well as the fives. The only issue is that this gives the grip a completely different feel (dah!). The seven rd mags make the gun a lot more comfortable to shoot, but switching them in and out doesn't help my consistency any. I had gotten pretty used to a 2-finger grip. I just received some grip extenders for the 5- rd mags but haven't tried them yet. Going to hold off shooting until I can find some ammo. Store shelves around here are picked clean of pistol ammo other than .45 Colt.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #45
emo
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 274 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Just the opposite here. Have plenty of ammo due to my other 45s, just can't lay my hands on an XDS! Check all the LGS every week and no one knows when they'll get another in.

Real dogs drool!

Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #46

I have an XD subcompact 9mm and absolutely love it. Have put over 1500 rounds through it so far. Had a couple of misfires, but it was due to cheap ammo...brother-in-law had the same issue with his XDm, but so did my husband and sis-in-law with their Glocks, so it was all about the ammo. My sister-in-law and I both had issues with not having consistent control in our groupings, but added tach lights and the weight resolved the problem for both of us. I was shooting a S&W .357 prior to that, so it's taken some getting used to firing a revolver.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #47
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1923 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 2080

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz60 View Post
Any pointers on how to avoid the "anticipation dip"?? I heard Grissom on his radio show advise to put snap caps in random stacking & "embarrassment" will keep you from repeat dipping! Doesn't work for me? I know I do it, just can't seem to break the bad habit! Thanks
What finally worked for me was loading the magazine with every other round as a snap cap. First round is a snap cap. Get some dry fire practice to remind your self how the squeeze should feel. When you have that sensation in your mind, eject that round and fire the next. Third round is a snap cap. Dry fire, eject, shoot. Rinse and repeat. Took a few hundred rounds and a few weeks but I finally stopped the anticipation dip (mostly).

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 01-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #48

Liked 123 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Get hold of some +P or +P+ if they have them then go back to your norm. ammo. I usually take a 9mm when I go along with the XDs, my carry. I can't get over how accurate I shoot the 9s.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #49

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

I just got my XDS the other day and I've put about 70 or 80 rnds thru it and I'm very impressed with it.... suprisingly its very manageable as far as recoil... and very accurate...don't have much problem w anticipation drop... but I've heard the quarter balanced on the slide and snap cap alternating is a good mental fix

Last edited by freetobefree; 02-07-2013 at 10:04 PM.
ChanceMcCall Likes This 
Old 02-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #50

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I just bought one to take the place of my Glock 36. To avoid all the extra paperwork it is still sitting in the shop because of another purchase so I haven't been able to wring it out yet. When I do, I will report back and it will have had every chance to fail - mud - weak wrist - underwater - sand- WWII, Korean, and Viet Nam ammo, plus some exotics.

When I carry a gun, I want it to work every time, no matter what.