Mixed reviews on Springfield XDs - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Mixed reviews on Springfield XDs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have now put about 300 rounds through my XDS and am still having a lot of trouble with shooting low (like 8 inches low at 15 yards). The good news is I am doing a lot better than I did on the first 100, i am really starting to chew up the same spot! This is my first .45 pistol, but I am a bit disappointed because I can shoot my S&W Sigma 9mm (a gun with an awful long hard pull) pretty well . I saw where another guy was having the same problem. And the response to him was, among other things...practice-practice-practice. Next time I am at the range I will find someone else to try it. I read a lot of posts of what I would call amazing accuracy with the XDS. Maybe some day, but for now I pretty much suck as a marksman. Will keep working on trigger control, and keep on practicing.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #32
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2377 Times on 1441 Posts
Likes Given: 2504

Trigger control is probably the issue. See if you can get some professional instruction. You don't want to spend a lot of rounds learning bad habits. Took me over 1000-1500 rounds to stop anticipating (well, mostly) and that was with 9mm. 45 hits harder and the natural response is to anticipate the recoil by pushing the muzzle down just as the trigger is breaking.

Kudos on two points, though. One, tight groups are a great start. Two, self-honesty is a rare trait. Keep shooting!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 12-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #33

Liked 63 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I really like the idea of a small 45 and the XDs is small. Actuallt it's almost identical size wise to my Shield and if I had to choose between the two it would be the XDs. It is a very high quality pistol that I find very accurate. They are more expensive than the Shields but you get what you're paying for, Springfield is going to sell a lot of these.

dsc08060.jpg   5-shot-grp-15-yds..jpg  

Old 12-19-2012, 12:45 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BClayton357
I have now put about 300 rounds through my XDS and am still having a lot of trouble with shooting low (like 8 inches low at 15 yards). The good news is I am doing a lot better than I did on the first 100, i am really starting to chew up the same spot! This is my first .45 pistol, but I am a bit disappointed because I can shoot my S&W Sigma 9mm (a gun with an awful long hard pull) pretty well . I saw where another guy was having the same problem. And the response to him was, among other things...practice-practice-practice. Next time I am at the range I will find someone else to try it. I read a lot of posts of what I would call amazing accuracy with the XDS. Maybe some day, but for now I pretty much suck as a marksman. Will keep working on trigger control, and keep on practicing.
I did have the same problem....and now I'm shooting great...I was aiming slightly low and anticipating recoil...once I aimed straight controlled my breathing and squeezed ( not tapped) the trigger my accuracy was far better...I love shooting my xd now

Old 12-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #35

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I appreciate the feedback. Yesterday seemed like a breakthrough day at the range. Was shooting my friends Glock 19 first. When we switched to the XDS I was no longer shooting low -more or less target center at 25 feet. I experimented with my grip and placed my lift index finger on the front of the trigger housing. That really countered my tendency to Drop the muzzle. I don't plan this to be my new technique, but it did feel good. Not there yet but headed in the right direction...thanks guys.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #36

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Had my XDs for a few months and its been flawless. It eats any ammo with no problems. I did modify it by adding talon grips and a pierce grip extension. Not it's perfect. It's been very accurate right out the box and I got about 500 rounds down range. I trust it with my life and its my primary carry. You can't go wrong with this one. Much more reliable than my Glock 36 which is finicky with certain brass ammo, but it loves steel.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #37
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2377 Times on 1441 Posts
Likes Given: 2504

Quote:
Originally Posted by BClayton357
I appreciate the feedback. Yesterday seemed like a breakthrough day at the range. Was shooting my friends Glock 19 first. When we switched to the XDS I was no longer shooting low -more or less target center at 25 feet. I experimented with my grip and placed my lift index finger on the front of the trigger housing. That really countered my tendency to Drop the muzzle. I don't plan this to be my new technique, but it did feel good. Not there yet but headed in the right direction...thanks guys.
Do you have the grip extension on your mags? If not, consider getting some. They make the grip long enough (barely) to fit your hands without using the front of the triggerguard.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 12-27-2012, 01:59 AM   #38

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota

Do you have the grip extension on your mags? If not, consider getting some. They make the grip long enough (barely) to fit your hands without using the front of the triggerguard.
I ordered some extensions, still waiting on those, but did pickup some 7- round extended mags. That might have helped. I do seem to be doing a little better each time out.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:06 AM   #39

Liked 140 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 3

XDs is a fine shooter. Also a good bad guy stopper. If you get a snubbie and shoot 357 or even +p it hurts. I have the LCR it's a bitch with Crimson trace grips. Love XDs but manhandle it or you will have problems. The 7 round magazines come with 2 grip extensions but you have to buy them separately.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #40

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbrowning
XDs is a fine shooter. Also a good bad guy stopper. If you get a snubbie and shoot 357 or even +p it hurts. I have the LCR it's a bitch with Crimson trace grips. Love XDs but manhandle it or you will have problems. The 7 round magazines come with 2 grip extensions but you have to buy them separately.
My 7 round XDs mags came w/ext sleeves-2 different sizes?