Mixed reviews on Springfield XDs - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Mixed reviews on Springfield XDs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 328 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I bought one about 3wks ago. It ran through 100rds FMJ, then sat for a week. Then repeated the next week. Then an assortment of JHPs the following week. Then I cleaned it for the first time before making it a carry gun.

Zero malfunctions, a shootability which greatly defies its size, and reasonably easy to be accurate with. The perfect carry gun...for me, that is. I value the convenience of a smaller/lighter package (there's probably a joke in there somewhere).

It might not be ideal for someone with larger hands, weaker hands, and some will be turned off by the minimal 5+1 capacity. But I'm lovin it. It's bumped my Shield (also excellent) down a peg.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

700 rds through my xds 45acp all different types of among even some + p ammo not one failure. nd for the quality you can't beat the price 475 out the door.. plus all extras Springfield addas the beautiful hard foam fitted case,paddle holster,mag holder Springfield armory is a class act.. buy one I also have the 40 sub compact another great weapon..Glock who.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:29 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113

It's not that small. Unless you got a big damn pocket.
It is absolutely that small. Fits well in a front pocket.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #24
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3032 Times on 1838 Posts
Likes Given: 2941

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEngineer

It is absolutely that small. Fits well in a front pocket.
It really is small. Add a pinky extension and it would probably still fit.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 AM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme View Post
700 rds through my xds 45acp all different types of among even some + p ammo not one failure. nd for the quality you can't beat the price 475 out the door.. plus all extras Springfield addas the beautiful hard foam fitted case,paddle holster,mag holder Springfield armory is a class act.. buy one I also have the 40 sub compact another great weapon..Glock who.
Where did you pick one up for that price? I looked at one yesterday for $ 575 before TTL.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I took my XDS to the range Ist time Saturday. No problems at all other than I need more range time getting used to it. The only problem I had is not getting a good feed when loading the first round. Weak hands I guess. It does have a stiff dual type recoil spring to handle that much recoil in a small light frame. After shooting I chatted with the only other guy on the range who just happened to be on his 3rd outing with his XDS. He had 500+ rounds through his on mostly 200g no jacket reloads, again no problems.

I did a lot of research before buying. There are plenty off good YouTube vids out there reviewing Xds against comparable sized semi auto's. Brandon401401 has a good one comparing XDs and M&p Shield, including a couple on HP ballistic comparisons for anyone concerned about the value of a .45 over 9mm as a carry gun. I found much less negative reports on the XDS at large than other "new" guns. I think reports on this gone are about as close to all good as you are going to get.

On size, no, this gun isn't pocket pistol 380 small, but as others said it will work fine in front pocket of cargo pants (probably not blue jeans). I think the intention of the single stack is for very comfortable IWB carry. It fits like a glove in my FoxX holster I ordered for my Shield (which is good 'cause I am still waiting on the Shield).

Old 12-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #27

Liked 328 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BClayton357 View Post
I took my XDS to the range Ist time Saturday. No problems at all other than I need more range time getting used to it. The only problem I had is not getting a good feed when loading the first round. Weak hands I guess. It does have a stiff dual type recoil spring to handle that much recoil in a small light frame. After shooting I chatted with the only other guy on the range who just happened to be on his 3rd outing with his XDS. He had 500+ rounds through his on mostly 200g no jacket reloads, again no problems.
This is a common issue with the entire XD/XDm/XDs family of firearms. If you're in the habit of gently moving the slide forward to chamber a round, it'll stop about 1/8" short of being fully forward. I've had all three models and none of them liked to be eased into place when chambering the first round. All that's required is more of a "let it fly" approach to the slide, or simply tap the back of the slide forward if it stops short.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #28

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

I've had no issues with my xd40. .....................z

Old 12-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My xds 45 acp. Has over 500 rounds through it. Not one failure different kinds of amo, even some +p stuff only one mag though. Won't start to use the + p stuff till I change the springs. Well worth the money I paid 475 including tax out the door. I can finally carry without printing in tee shirt and shorts. As with all new handguns I field strip clean polish the crap out of the feed ramp. Before I get a bunch of crap 3/4 of the ammo fired was what I carry every day in for my ccw. Just wanted to see how rugged the weapon is and how reliable. I even shot a couple mags with different ammo brands and accelerate. Awesome handgun.

Last edited by Jayme; 12-05-2012 at 08:00 AM.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bought my Xds from the Powder horn in Williston, Vt.: