Magazine release problem on XD .45
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Magazine release problem on XD .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 02:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Magazine release problem on XD .45

When I have a fully loaded mag in, and I want to take it back out, I must push the mag release button really hard with my thumb, and it is almost impossible to press it on the other side of the gun with my trigger finger. When the mag is only partially full or empty, it doesn't do this. Is this kind of thing happening to anyone else here? It doesn't bother me that much, since in a self-defense situation I'm not going to be trying to eject a full clip.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2010, 02:31 AM   #2

Try locking the slide back and push the mag release. It should come out easy since there will be no pressure. This is normal with high capacity mags. Same principle applies when you run of bullits, the slide should lock back and the full mag slides in unhindered. Drop the slide. Your good to go.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 02-28-2010, 03:00 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Should be able to push up on the mag and press the release button without having to lock the slide back.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON View Post
wow. i didn't finish. and i want that time i just wasted back. I was hoping for at least a pic of Bea Arthur in her undies .

Old 02-28-2010, 03:45 AM   #4

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronguyton View Post
Should be able to push up on the mag and press the release button without having to lock the slide back.
I have experienced this with an XD 40 and have seen other mentions of it here and on other boards. It seems to be common with XDs and resolves itself over time as the springs in the mag "unstiffen." (probably not correct term but you get the point)

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-28-2010, 04:50 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey-you-guys View Post
When I have a fully loaded mag in, and I want to take it back out, I must push the mag release button really hard with my thumb, and it is almost impossible to press it on the other side of the gun with my trigger finger. When the mag is only partially full or empty, it doesn't do this. Is this kind of thing happening to anyone else here? It doesn't bother me that much, since in a self-defense situation I'm not going to be trying to eject a full clip.
I have the same issue with my xd40 and as stated when the slide is back it will come out easier.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The top round is putting pressure on the mag. Sprinfield mag springs are rather stiff when new and the problem goes away as the mags break in. I never had a problem with my XD45 or XD9SC but I know of others who have had similar issues.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I had this problem when I first purchased my XD45 Service about 3yrs ago and then again when I purchased my XD45C last year. Now that the springs have had time to work themselves in there is no problem. It did worry me in the bargaining.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #8

Alright, cool. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I don't know what is on your thumb, but you may need to wipe the fluid off your trigger finger for a clean release.

Seriously though, my XD45's mag release button got easier to push with use.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I don't know what is on your thumb, but you may need to wipe the fluid off your trigger finger for a clean release.

Seriously though, my XD45's mag release button got easier to push with use.
Okay, cool. My trigger finger is pretty dry now that my sister is on her period.