Looking for some help - XD 45 Service FTFd
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum >

Looking for some help - XD 45 Service FTFd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for some help - XD 45 Service FTFd

Hello All,

New to the forum but I've been lurking for a long time always learning something.

Despite my handle I'm not really a doubter.

I have an XD 45 4" purchased new in summer/fall of 06. It has about 800 - 900 rounds through it. For the most part all the rounds have been either WWB or Federal Personal Protection Hydra-Shok JHP 230g.

This is my issue; failure to feed. This happens a lot with the Hydra-Shok's. I've watched the Todd Jarrett video on how to hold a gun (not new to guns but figured I'll look at the user before the equipment) and made the adjustments to my hold that I was using based on my Army training. This helped. Now I'm not a small guy or have weak/small hands; if anything I wish my fingers were a touch longer......anyway.

So I have these failure to feed's:

- Round just didn't come out of the mag.
- Round catches the feedramp.
- Round catches somewhere in the middle of the cycle.

Either way it sucks and makes me doubt the gun. I've cleaned the gun sparkly clean with a little oil, a lot of oil, no oil - same thing. I've cleaned the mag's - same thing, little/lot/no oil. Same thing.

I've sent the gun back to SA and got three new mags and a very dirty gun. I promptly put 13rounds on Hydra-Shok 230g JHP (new) in the new factory mag and put it in its hiding place (inside the house) for about a month or so. Then I take it to the range, chamber a round and boom, boom, boom, nothing. I look at the gun and sure enough; the 4th round is still sitting in the magazine, slide in 'locked' position. I release the mag, release the slide, insert the mag and chamber the #4 round, boom, boom, boom until the mag is empty.

I then load the same mag with 100 rounds (13 at a time of course) of WWB FMJ 230g rounds. It goes boom 100 times in a row. No FTFd or FTE. I love my XD when it works like this. It's accurate, a pleasure to shoot and I'd trust my life with it. But not with the Hydra-Shok.

I'll try to shorten this up. I now have 13rds of WWB 230g sitting in the same mag for about two weeks. In about 3 weeks I'll take it back to the range and see what happens - hoping it doesn't stick. Yes, the gun and mags will be clean and oiled (but not too much).

So you know, my FTFd's have been numerous. I actually expect a failure more than not. Should I have the ramps polished as I've heard about?

I guess I'm looking for two things:

A recommendation for another 230g JHP round I can trust (Saber?? If I can find them). Don't want anything less than 230g - what's the point??

Has anyone else seen this much trouble? The Hydra-Shok's and sometimes ball rounds seem to catch in the feed ramp, less and less with the ball rounds (I'm assuming the gun is getting broken in by now).

Thanks for listening/reading.

I really want to trust and love my XD but I just can't right now and it's paining me to think I may have to give it up.
nofeedslidelockedbackround4.jpg   nofeedslidelockedbackround4fromback.jpg  

Last edited by XDDoubter; 01-25-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #2

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

Welcome, please stop by the introductions section so people get to know you a little better. I had an XD45 that was flawless. NEVER once had a SINGLE issue. Have you checked to make sure that you are loading the magazine properly? Not doubting you, but if the rounds are not loaded ALL the way back, you could easily have feed problems that would not be solved by grip, amount of oil, newness of magazines, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 01-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #3

Default Yup and Yup

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yup, old habits (U.S. Army...) die hard. Whenever I load a mag it always gets a few hard taps on the heel of my hand to seat the ammo. Funny thing with the new factory mags is that you can acutally hear the ammo rattling around in the mag (in fact I can see that it's the #8 round). Hmmm...

Old 01-26-2010, 04:39 AM   #4

Default Mag Springs

There have been numerous posts in another forum about this issue. Order AGP Magazine springs, $7.25 each + shipping. They are about 20% stronger and might solve the issue.
AGP Arms, Inc. :: Springfield Armory :: AGP Arms Springfield XD45 Extra Power Spring

Old 01-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #5

Default Thanks..........but

Thank you very much and I'm thinking the mags too. Has anyone heard of these springs fixing this problem? Just curious because, as am I, a new poster is pushing a product right out of the box.

MM - do you have links to the other forums (if that's even allowed on here) with guys that have done the upgrade and tested it?

Even PM me if you'd like. Just want to see some opinoins before I spend more money on this gun.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #6

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

My XD .45 Compact works with anything I've tried and I usually keep it loaded with Gold Dots. I'm wondering if you have a burr or rough spot on the feed ramp? If FMJs work reliably and you don't want to invest more money - give Corbon Powerball ammo a try - it's designed to mimic a FMJ...

Old 01-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #7

Default Yup...

I've suspected the feedramp as the #1.5 culprit. I'm going to take the gun apart today for a thorough cleaning and look at the ramp again. I've inspected it in the past and it seems OK although I wonder about it's alignment (but it's been back to the fac so I give them the benefit of the doubt). I may buy a buffing disk/cloth for my grinder and see if I can't buff the snot out of it.

I did find a thread on a glock forum where someone has replaced their XD45 springs with some benefit. At $8 each I'll get a couple and see what happens. Just trying to figure out how I got 6 OEM mags with funky springs.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #8

Default Solution?

Ok - going off of MM's suggestion did some searching and found a few guys who were having the same issue, replaced the OEM springs and they're much happier owners now. I'll be ordering some and report back.....

Old 01-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #9

My XD45 service eats 230 gr Speer Gold Dots like a starving child in a 3rd world country. Have you tried Gold Dots yet?

I had a similar issue to yours when i first got my XD40sc, but it turned out to be user error :P

Old 01-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #10

Default Gonna try it all....

Ok, I actually found some Speer Gold Dots in 230g JHP and they're on their way. I know some will ding me for only shooting two or three boxes of them (about 60 rounds) but at $25 a box (20) the testing will have to be over a period of time - not all at once. As long as I can keep finding them I'll keep testing them. The Fed JHP usually fail within a box of 20 so basing off of the way my gun behaves if it's not going to eat the JHP I'll know in short order. I'm hoping that they'll work better so I can keep JHP in my little friend, otherwise it'll be some ball ammo until I find a new 45.

I also ordered the AGP replacement springs. Stupid I have to pay $12 in shipping for a few ounces but that's the game I guess.

Hopefully by mid-next week I'll have my ammo and springs, cleaned the gun and be ready for some testing of the new springs and ammo.

I'll report back. I'm 10-10 on the side.......