looking for first handgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > looking for first handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default looking for first handgun

i really like the xd and i'm about to buy a xd 40 or a glock 22, i have shot both and im leaning toward the xd. now be honest, has anyone had any problems with the xd40 service? how does the xdm stack up

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 775

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrich View Post
i really like the xd and i'm about to buy a xd 40 or a glock 22, i have shot both and im leaning toward the xd. now be honest, has anyone had any problems with the xd40 service? how does the xdm stack up
Love my XDm 40. Only service issue I could predict you run into would be with the sights. Few gunsmiths will touch the sights on an XD or XDm. If you want to change them at any time, they will typically tell you to send it to Springfield. I have never heard anyone complain about the service.

Differences between the XD and XDm... better barrel in the XDm, some different stippling, minor ergonomic changes, loaded chamber indicator, a few more goodies in the package (I think). But it's been a long time since I shot an XD. Go play with both and see what you like.

I think a Springfield XD or XDm would make a great first gun. But as I tell everyone, I can pretty well guarantee you that one of your first 2 or 3 guns will be a .22; so you'll have to go to someone else beside Springfield for that.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 10-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #3

thanks for the input

Old 10-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't normally like to give advice on the purchasing of guns, because the wants, needs, and abilities of gun owners vary so much; but if I was buying my first handgun, I'd definitely go with something very simple with a hammer before I moved up to complicated, striker-fired pistols. It's not even unusual for trained law enforcement personnel to make occasional, very serious mistakes with striker-fired pistols.

As I said, that's not as unusual as it should be or as many think it is. A Sheriff's Deputy instructor in my old hometown did the exact same thing and shot himself right through the hand with a Glock in the middle of a class on handgun safety.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I would be glad to share my problems with the XD45 tacticool that i have, but i haven't really had any problems yet. I had trouble finding enough 45ACP for a while, but that has improved.

Any particular reason why you are choosing this as your first firearm?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #6

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrich View Post
This might be a good place to start, I know nothing about the company, But it appears to be a decent price.

Springfield Armory 12 + 1 rd 40 S&W with 4" Barrel #SPG-XD9102HCSP06X

Good luck

Old 10-12-2010, 03:54 AM   #7

thanks for the input

Old 10-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #8

Liked 4791 Times on 2317 Posts
Likes Given: 1479

Had my XD .45 ACP Service for about 6 years now. Only problem was a failure to fire w/factory ammo about a year ago. Advice here told me to pull the striker mechanism and shoot it out with Action Blaster. This cleared a bunch of copper shavings that were binding up the striker spring. Gun's been 100% since this procedure and IMHO, the best value out there in a hi cap handgun. Though my last trip to the gun store showed me XD prices higher than Glocks by about 100.

On the video...Yabba Dabba Do! Them LEO's sure know what there doing!

TACK

Old 10-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You can't go wrong with the XD line. Glocks are very comparable, but I like the grip safety, the ergonomics, and the sights of the xd's much better.

Go shoot both and decide for yourself.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
You can't go wrong with the XD line. Glocks are very comparable, but I like the grip safety, the ergonomics, and the sights of the xd's much better.

Go shoot both and decide for yourself.
Agreed. While I have nothing bad to say about Glocks as far as function goes, they're just not for me. I've got an XD45 Compact that i carry everyday, as long as a XDm45 that I keep as my bedside gun. I've never had any malfunctions in either and am extremely happy with both purchases.

I prefer the XD, but I would say hold both shoot both if possible before you make your decision, because after all, it's your preference that matters, not ours.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"