Lefty has trouble depressing slide release?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Lefty has trouble depressing slide release?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Lefty has trouble depressing slide release?

I have large strong hands and still find it very difficult to use the slide release with my left index finger. That seems to be my only option being left handed. I have ran about 1,000 rds through my xd45. I have been doing some dry practice drills. I am hoping my finger will become more accustomed and perhaps a little stronger. I am also hoping as the pistol breaks in perhaps it will lossen up a bit. The people at the gun shop say it's fine although he could not use it with his left index finger. He said it was because he was not left handed. Any help out there would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2010, 09:29 PM   #2

take it from a fellow lefty shooter and XD45 owner; F the slide release lever. Release the slide by pulling back on it with your right hand. My CCW instructor even recommends this for righty shooters.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:42 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks KBlue, makes sense. Was wondering this myself, which is partly why I am considering the M&P along with the XD 5"...as the Smith has an ambi slide release. It's become a real toss-up between those two.

Only 6 months to go to purchase and full pistol licence-status. /sigh!

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 06-02-2011, 03:13 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try XDGUYS.com they have a listing on the left side that has upgrades for the XD. They have a extended slide release for sale plus some other cool stuff.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:11 AM   #5

Liked 1859 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 1231

People often train themselves to release the slide by pulling back with their weak hand in an atempt to overcome confusion of using lots of different guns. I am also a lefty. I own a bunch of guns. Some even have a slide release on the right side of the gun. But I use my weak hand to pull back the slide on everyone of them.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.