left handed shooter

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > left handed shooter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default left handed shooter

Hi Folks,
My son has applied for his GFL and wants to try my XDc. He is left handed and I wondered if there are any "lefties" out there that would have any tips for him other than "make your dad pay for all range fees and ammo."

I did a search for left handed shooters, but got no real information.
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2009, 02:50 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8895 Times on 3852 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

The primary issues for a lefty with a pistol, rifle, or shotgun are similar-

First, the controls may be where your dominant hand cannot easily reach them- consider safety, slide release, etc. One cure (partially) may be an ambi safety (have one on my Browning P-35)

The other issue, which varies wildly from one make/model to another is where does it throw the ejected brass? When I was still wearing a green shirt each day, the Colt M-16s would throw hot brass RIGHT down the neck of a lefty, but a General Dynamics M16 would not. Look at the ejection pattern from your weapon, and be sure he is not gonna get whacked in the face with brass.

And practicing strong hand/ weak hand is still a good drill.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:30 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Well, I shoot everything I have left handed and I've never had any problem with brass going to places it shouldn't. Maybe it's just been my guns. When I'm shooting bolties, I just give my wrist a little twist before ejecting the shells and they give me no problem.

9x18=Makarov

Old 07-25-2009, 02:53 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I'm a lefty and frequently shoot an XD40 and other semi-autos. No problems at all with those especially because they only feature a grip and trigger safety. Growing up with guns, the best thing everyone did with me and my brother (also a lefty) was, when we learned to shoot was to just line us out with the basics and let us shoot (alot). Eventually, any adjustments needed (usually none) you will make on your own and become part of your technique. I wouldn't even mention being a lefty as an issue for your son.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:20 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I shoot mine both right-and left-handed (Single-hand) and my daughter is left-handed, so she shoots the XD 9 both two-handed and single-handed, and there's never been an issue. Sorry about all the hyphens.