Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Leaving your XD mags fully loaded..Good or bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 03:32 AM   #31
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 210 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

If you read enough of these ever-spawning threads about leaving mags loaded, you will notice the smart people explaining to the rest of us that springs are weakened by cycling through compression and extension, not by just sitting compressed.

I do usually load one round short for some silly reason.
Well, usually I aim to learn something new every day. So now I'm good for today. The only time I fill my staggered magazines to max cap is at the range. My single stack mags are usually always loaded to capacity.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 03-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #32
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5701 Times on 3346 Posts
Likes Given: 4866

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
Well, usually I aim to learn something new every day.
Me too; unfortunately it is often "where did that cat crap" that I learn every day. Sometimes I think they are trying to make an imitation asphalt walkway to the car.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 03-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #33
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 210 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

Me too; unfortunately it is often "where did that cat crap" that I learn every day. Sometimes I think they are trying to make an imitation asphalt walkway to the car.
Ha! Here is goose poop.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 03-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #34
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4521 Times on 2377 Posts
Likes Given: 259

I thought this was put to rest a while back. Magazines do not lose strength from staying compressed or uncompressed. It is the usage of a spring that weakens it.

Springs will also weaken greatly if a compression spring is stretched. Every case ive ever come across where someone has claimed a spring weakened from sitting compressed was one in which the owner removed the spring and gave both ends a tug to lengthen it back into shape....

Ive got some 45acp 1911 magazines in my collection that were in use by the 25th infantry division during ww2 korea vietnam and everything in between. Many thousands of cycles of compression decompression and many countless months and days of sitting compressed and they all work fine.

Replacing springs is just not needed in magazines that are working fine. Soon as one starts to have issues replace the magazine.

Almost all magazine issues are strictly related to damage neglect or end user abuse. Leaving one in a compressed state is not going to hurt it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...