Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Leaving your XD mags fully loaded..Good or bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 01:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Leaving your XD mags fully loaded..Good or bad?

Will leaving your magazines fully loaded ruin them in the long run? Fact or fiction? Has anyone ruined there mags by leaving them loaded for a long period of time? My XD .40 sub compact is my everyday in my bag pistol I always keep two mags loaded at all time that's why I was wondering this..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2013, 01:40 AM   #2

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

I have had my xd for four or five years now and I have always kept all three mags loaded. I have never had an issue with them whatsoever.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:40 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have had mine load all the time for almost two years. No problems at all

Old 02-19-2013, 01:46 AM   #4

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Compressing and expanding the springs is what wears them out. Ever had a Pogo stick as a kid? They're fine when no one uses them. But they lose their bounce eventually when you ride it often.

I'm not a metallurgist, so I can't relate all the techie speak, but leaving a spring compressed or expanded is perfectly fine.

And for perspective, a friend of mine in the Marines Managed to hang onto the same M16 mag his entire enlistment. 4 years, extensive training, and three tours overseas, and it worked fine.

Now, some here have managed to wear out mag springs. Hell if I know how. They obviously have way more ammo money than I do.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:56 AM   #5

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

The only time my mags and gun are ever unloaded is at the range.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:16 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the feedback! I figured the same thing that it would be fine but always heard different..

Old 02-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #7

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have personally seen it cause issues with 92f mags. We were taught to rotate our mags periodically.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Compressing and expanding the springs is what wears them out. Ever had a Pogo stick as a kid? They're fine when no one uses them. But they lose their bounce eventually when you ride it often.

I'm not a metallurgist, so I can't relate all the techie speak, but leaving a spring compressed or expanded is perfectly fine.

And for perspective, a friend of mine in the Marines Managed to hang onto the same M16 mag his entire enlistment. 4 years, extensive training, and three tours overseas, and it worked fine.

Now, some here have managed to wear out mag springs. Hell if I know how. They obviously have way more ammo money than I do.
Agreed. Most objects wear out more from movement, not constant pressure.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #9

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieboots View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I figured the same thing that it would be fine but always heard different..
Hang out with more informed/experienced shooters

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5121 Times on 2667 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron0022 View Post
I have personally seen it cause issues with 92f mags. We were taught to rotate our mags periodically.
The problems were more likely one or some of being dirty, rusty, out of spec, constantly being loaded and unloaded as often happens when used in military security roles.

Leaving a spring compressed inside its designed parameters will not hurt it. Its scientific fact. Its the movement itself of compression and decrompression that damages springs.

You do far worse damage to a magazine by unloading them to "let them rest" and none at all just leaving them loaded.

That being said, unless you shoot a damn lot of rounds, like in competition, or sit in front of the tv just loading and unloading a magazine your never going to wear one out.

Its a non-issue. Keep them clean, wipe down the springs and internal parts when you clean your gun and they will last several lifetimes

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

HOSSFLY Likes This