Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Leaving your XD mags fully loaded..Good or bad? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/leaving-your-xd-mags-fully-loaded-good-bad-84564/)

louieboots 02-19-2013 02:34 AM

Leaving your XD mags fully loaded..Good or bad?

Will leaving your magazines fully loaded ruin them in the long run? Fact or fiction? Has anyone ruined there mags by leaving them loaded for a long period of time? My XD .40 sub compact is my everyday in my bag pistol I always keep two mags loaded at all time that's why I was wondering this..

CaseyChadwell 02-19-2013 02:40 AM

I have had my xd for four or five years now and I have always kept all three mags loaded. I have never had an issue with them whatsoever.

getem2011 02-19-2013 02:40 AM

I have had mine load all the time for almost two years. No problems at all

trip286 02-19-2013 02:46 AM

Compressing and expanding the springs is what wears them out. Ever had a Pogo stick as a kid? They're fine when no one uses them. But they lose their bounce eventually when you ride it often.

I'm not a metallurgist, so I can't relate all the techie speak, but leaving a spring compressed or expanded is perfectly fine.

And for perspective, a friend of mine in the Marines Managed to hang onto the same M16 mag his entire enlistment. 4 years, extensive training, and three tours overseas, and it worked fine.

Now, some here have managed to wear out mag springs. Hell if I know how. They obviously have way more ammo money than I do.

lbwar15 02-19-2013 02:56 AM

The only time my mags and gun are ever unloaded is at the range.

louieboots 02-19-2013 03:16 AM

Thanks for the feedback! I figured the same thing that it would be fine but always heard different..

Byron0022 02-21-2013 08:58 AM

I have personally seen it cause issues with 92f mags. We were taught to rotate our mags periodically.

AR10 02-21-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1143615)
Compressing and expanding the springs is what wears them out. Ever had a Pogo stick as a kid? They're fine when no one uses them. But they lose their bounce eventually when you ride it often.

I'm not a metallurgist, so I can't relate all the techie speak, but leaving a spring compressed or expanded is perfectly fine.

And for perspective, a friend of mine in the Marines Managed to hang onto the same M16 mag his entire enlistment. 4 years, extensive training, and three tours overseas, and it worked fine.

Now, some here have managed to wear out mag springs. Hell if I know how. They obviously have way more ammo money than I do.

Agreed. Most objects wear out more from movement, not constant pressure.

HOSSFLY 02-21-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louieboots (Post 1143645)
Thanks for the feedback! I figured the same thing that it would be fine but always heard different..

Hang out with more informed/experienced shooters ;)

JonM 02-21-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron0022 (Post 1146807)
I have personally seen it cause issues with 92f mags. We were taught to rotate our mags periodically.

The problems were more likely one or some of being dirty, rusty, out of spec, constantly being loaded and unloaded as often happens when used in military security roles.

Leaving a spring compressed inside its designed parameters will not hurt it. Its scientific fact. Its the movement itself of compression and decrompression that damages springs.

You do far worse damage to a magazine by unloading them to "let them rest" and none at all just leaving them loaded.

That being said, unless you shoot a damn lot of rounds, like in competition, or sit in front of the tv just loading and unloading a magazine your never going to wear one out.

Its a non-issue. Keep them clean, wipe down the springs and internal parts when you clean your gun and they will last several lifetimes