Laser Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Laser Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Laser Question

I recently joined a tactical shooting league, I want to add a laser to my xd 40. I have been researching and looking at different models and styles. Question is should i spend the extra money and get a grisom trace or use a tactical rail mount laser? I am looking for personal opinions for either option.

Thanks
Travis

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I had one of the very early edition, grip replacement Crimson Trace models. After about 6 months, the dot started to get a lot of "splash" to it. It wasn't clean and crisp, it looked like a big red paint ball splat.

I called Crimson Trace and they had me send it in. They replaced the laser portion, sent it back and it ran fine for as long as I used.

Personally I don't care for them as lasers point TWO ways and have no business on a personal defense weapon that I would own.

Competition I could see how they would be handy though.

I will say this, if you can get a green laser it will be visible in more light conditions because it operates at a different spectrum than the red and it will also be visible much further away because of the strength.

Just food for thought.

JD

Old 04-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #3

Yea only thing that is keeping me from the crimson trace, is that its red i don't like the red.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Depends on whether you have a holster that will fit a rail mounted laser, assuming you have to holster at some point. If you don't and can't find one, then CT's will be the only viable option...

Old 04-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2773 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 243

I worked on a friend's Smith revolver w/crimson trace grip. The problem I noticed is if your trigger finger is properly indexed (outsidethe trigger guard), your finger will block the laser. It will force you into an unsafe condition of having your finger on the trigger in order to see the laser on the target.

Just my $.02

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Lasermax Laser Sights for Springfield XD FREE S&H LMS-5XD45-ACP, LMS-5XD, LMS-XDMS, LMS-4XD45-ACP, LMS-4XD40, LMS-3XD, LMS-4XD9/357. Lasermax Internal Guide Rod Lasers Laser Sights, Lasermax Laser
I have NOT tried this product, but it has tempted me. It ain't cheap though.

You could save the rail for a light.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:09 AM   #7

I found one I am looking into getting, its viridian laser.

I am looking at the SXD, comes with green laser and custom fitted to the xd frame and comes with a free holster. I am really considering ordering one tomorrow. Seams too good to pass up for the moment.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #8

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rav View Post
I found one I am looking into getting, its viridian laser.

I am looking at the SXD, comes with green laser and custom fitted to the xd frame and comes with a free holster. I am really considering ordering one tomorrow. Seams too good to pass up for the moment.
I had that same set-up recommended to me last year on this forum. If I ever get coin enough to buy one I will. Still thinking that guns are more important than the accessories, my wish list keeps growing.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #9

I placed my order today for my SXD laser. I will post back with my feedback when i get it next week.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I tried one and the switch was intermittent and does come on like the Crimson Trace. I got the Crimson Trace on my J Frame and love it. I think it a great asset to self defense for use at night and you can aim the gun in less then ideal conditions without sticking your head out looking for the iron sights. You can also get a laser built in to the light for rail mounting,

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent