Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Im going to pick up a gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Im going to pick up a gun

I'm picking up a smith an wesson sigma .40 s&w40ve anyone have info on this gun

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Welcome to the forum!

Some here hate the sigma, some here love the sigma. Personally, I didn't like the funky trigger pull. It's a decent, reliable gun.

I urge you, if you have no or little experience with firearms to go learn something about them. Take a few classes, get some range time. There are also ranges that rent guns to folks, this could help you decide on a first gun. You may decide you don't like the Sigma at all, or you may decid there's nothing better, it's all about what fits you. and a good rangemaster will help you work that out.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20846 Times on 11850 Posts
Likes Given: 52387

welcome to the forum! stop over in the introductions section and say hello.

some say the Smith & Wesson M&P series is a huge improvement over the Sigma series of pistols. personally i bought the SA XDm-40 and love it, this would be one to consider also. but trip has a good point, check out many different ones as handguns are personal and if it doesn't fit your hand well, then you will never be able to shoot it well.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5454 Times on 2846 Posts
Likes Given: 350

the m&p is the same as a sigma. the xdm is a much better gun. better trigger much better set of unobtrusive safeties. the sigma is lighter than a xdm but in a 40cal thats not a good thing as you need the weight to help deal with the severe muzzle flippiness of the 40.

personally i would go 9mm or 45acp rather than but thats just me.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-10-2011, 10:30 PM   #5

Someone mentioned to me bought the weight being a problem I figured thanks

top shotta!!!

Old 12-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #6

Jon, I have to disagree with you on a couple of points regarding the M&P .40.
My mom has one, shoots it, and loves it, recoil and all. She's 5'8" or so, and 120lbs soaking wet. Her's also has no safety at all except the mag drop safety. As far as the similarities between it and the Sigma, the trigger is much better on the M&P. Everything else may or may not (I don't know for sure) be exactly the same, but the trigger most definitely is not.

I've never shot the XD myself so I won't say that one is better than the other, but when my step brother visited my mom and his dad, he fired both of their M&P .40's (they had different backstraps installed, so he wanted to try both) and then he went and traded his XD .40 for a M&P.

It's personal preference man.

But that was a XD, not the XDM

Old 12-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #7

So gun name is that m&p under like Wat would I tell the gun clerk if I wanted to check it out cuz I'm more of a glock man but wanted to try something different

top shotta!!!

Old 12-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcknight
So gun name is that m&p under like Wat would I tell the gun clerk if I wanted to check it out cuz I'm more of a glock man but wanted to try something different

top shotta!!!
Not sure if I understand the question exactly, but m&p is not the same as a sigma. You would ask for the m&p by m&p if that's what you wanna look at. Good luck.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #9

Ok thanks

top shotta!!!

Old 12-11-2011, 02:52 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5454 Times on 2846 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Jon, I have to disagree with you on a couple of points regarding the M&P .40.
My mom has one, shoots it, and loves it, recoil and all. She's 5'8" or so, and 120lbs soaking wet. Her's also has no safety at all except the mag drop safety. As far as the similarities between it and the Sigma, the trigger is much better on the M&P. Everything else may or may not (I don't know for sure) be exactly the same, but the trigger most definitely is not.

I've never shot the XD myself so I won't say that one is better than the other, but when my step brother visited my mom and his dad, he fired both of their M&P .40's (they had different backstraps installed, so he wanted to try both) and then he went and traded his XD .40 for a M&P.

It's personal preference man.

But that was a XD, not the XDM
im not a fan of the xd either i dont care for the grip. the xdm improved it greatly.

ive shot both glock and m&p in various calibers side by side with my xdm. the xdm was faster for me to get fast accurate hits. mileage varies cuz thats very subjective i just find the glock and MP grip angle to be slow.

as for 40 i just dont shoot them fast. the recoil is more of a snap with more muzzle climb for me. one shot only it doesnt matter. but sd is almost never if ever just one shot. i just personally find the 40 slower than 9mm or 45acp regardless of platform. again mileage varies and depends greatly on personal sttyle and tastes

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...