Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > I want an XD for my first handgun, should I get the sub-compact?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 06:12 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't think you can go wrong with an XD in any caliber but especially 45. If I were you I would go with the 45 compact. That way you'll get a 4" barrel and two grip lengths for either carry use or range. With the longer mag and grip extension it's the same size as their service model. Sort of the best of both worlds.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I wouldn't "shy away" from the .45 as a caliber, especially in a full-size gun. The XD45 is a smooth shooter. But you might shy away from the cost of ammo compared to the 9mm. You'll be able to afford a lot more practice with a 9.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 06-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Having both XD and XDm I can say with no reservation that while the XD is a great gun, the XDm is a GREAT gun. Now in .45 if you so desire.

Go feel 'em up at a shop and shoot them. You wont go wrong with any 3.8 or 4.5 bbl in the XD/ XDm line.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with an XD in any caliber but especially 45. If I were you I would go with the 45 compact. That way you'll get a 4" barrel and two grip lengths for either carry use or range. With the longer mag and grip extension it's the same size as their service model. Sort of the best of both worlds.
My thoughts exactly. I wish I had looked around more for the 45 compact rather than just buying my XD40 service. Granted, I really like my XD40 and carry it religiously, I think I'd like to have a 45 more.... especially with the shorter grip option.

Evil Conservative Hate-monger.

Calle

Old 06-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #15

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYankee View Post
What do you think about the XD 45?
I agree with the others, subcompacts are difficult to get on target without lots and lots of practice and are no fun to shoot at the range, especially in a .45 ACP.

The XD 45 Compact is a good compromise. The 4" service length barrel with the short grip can be sufficiently concealed with a quality holster. You also get the added benefit of the extended 13 round mags for either backup or range use.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I personally don't care for the XDsc's. But I like the full size models.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #17

To each his own thoughts! I carry a 45 XD compact - ( Completely the same as the "4 service issue except for the hand grip which is about 1 inch smaller on the compact) - but if you use the 13 round mag with the black extension on it - it's the same size as the Service 4") - I've carried this gun for about a year and a half and it shoots great! - Just remember the Compact is just slightly smaller ( for concealment purposes only every thing else is the same )

Old 08-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I like my XD 45 TACTICAL. Get used to the platform and then go smaller once you get familiar. You may want to go with another pistol for everyday carry. My everyday is a .40 S&W Sigma until I get some more practice with my XD and the weather gets cooler (easier to hide the XD with winter clothing)

Last edited by crazycharlie2; 09-16-2010 at 08:32 PM.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #19

I haven't messed with all of the springfields but the XDSC felt too top heavy to me. I was more comfortable with the S&W.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

All of my friends that shoot my PX4 like it better than their xd. Just saying.