Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   I want an XD for my first handgun, should I get the sub-compact? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/i-want-xd-my-first-handgun-should-i-get-sub-compact-28704/)

DamnYankee 06-25-2010 03:32 PM

I want an XD for my first handgun, should I get the sub-compact?

I have been researching the XD's pretty hard. They seem to be a good choice formy needs. But being my first handgun , should I shy away from the sub-compact model? I do plan on taking the first available concealed carry class I can get into so concealability will be an issue in the near future.

NGIB 06-25-2010 03:37 PM

Depends. No subcompact is a really good range or fun gun as they're small & compact. Nor are they target quality guns as they're small & compact. T'was me, I'd get a duty size gun and get comfortable with the platform and then go from there...

GMACK 06-25-2010 03:48 PM

NGIB says it pretty much the same way I feel about it. If its your first handgun I wouldnt start off with a sub-compact. Try a 4" service model. Thats what my XD is and I like it quite a bit. If you find it to big for your needs you can always trade it in on a compact or just keep it and add a compact to your ever growing collection.

amoroque 06-25-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 305877)
Depends. No subcompact is a really good range or fun gun as they're small & compact. Nor are they target quality guns as they're small & compact. T'was me, I'd get a duty size gun and get comfortable with the platform and then go from there...

I agree completely.....white the sub compacts are very necessary, I dont really enjoy shooting them on a regualr basis.

Might be a good excuse to get 2 pistols! :D

DamnYankee 06-25-2010 04:45 PM

What do you think about the XD 45?

amoroque 06-25-2010 04:48 PM

I think it is BAD ARSE!!!

I havent owned or shot a SA product that I wasnt completely happy with!

NitroxAZ 06-25-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamnYankee (Post 305913)
What do you think about the XD 45?

Great choice IMHO. I really enjoy mine. Good value for the money and their customer service is supposed to be top notch. Fortunately I have not needed to use it.

DamnYankee 06-25-2010 04:57 PM

What are the main differences between the XD 45 and the XD 9 besides the obvious? Should I, as a newb, shy away from a 45?

amoroque 06-25-2010 05:10 PM

The size is different between the 2 pistols.

I might suggest going to a gun shop that has both of them in stock.....and finding exactly what YOU like.

My first pistol was a 45. So I dont necessarily think you should "shy away from a 45." I just think you need to see what fits you the best and what you like to shoot.

just my .02

DamnYankee 06-25-2010 05:24 PM

I'll be taking a trip to my local shop tomorrow. Hopefully they have both. If not I'll be able to see some alternatives anyway.