How safe is the XD?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > How safe is the XD?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How safe is the XD?

When Springfield just started selling the XD, YEARS ago, I had read an article by Massad Ayoob, who went on about how great the gun was. I finally, a few years later, decided to jump in and buy an XD45 4". I have since added the PRP Trigger kit and Zero Travel Trigger safety. ALL safeties work as originally intended. In fact, the Zero travel trigger safety actually removes ALL movement from the trigger unless the safety is depressed.

Here's my question... How safe are the XD Safeties? There were a few people trying to steer me away from the XD, saying that the lack of a manual safety would make the gun very unsafe for Carry. I didn't let them change my decision, but now that I have the XD, I can't help but wonder, is it truly safe? Since having a round chambered, ALSO means having the striker cocked and ready to fire, How many people carry with the gun in this condition? Have there been any cases of an XD "Going off" unexpected? Can I confidently put in a magazine, load the chamber, put the pistol in a holster, and be sure that unless the grip safety is depressed AND the trigger pulled, the gun will not go off?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The best safety is between your ears. After that, the XD is very safe. I carried my XD chambered daily for a while and I now carry a 1911 cocked and locked. Safeties are mechanical devices and all machines can fail but I would not feel uncomfortable carrying my XD again. If YOU don't feel comfortable carrying the gun then you need to leave it at home.

Oh yeah...welcome to the forum. Stop by the introductions area and let everyone know you are here.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy821 View Post

Here's my question... How safe are the XD Safeties? There were a few people trying to steer me away from the XD, saying that the lack of a manual safety would make the gun very unsafe for Carry. Have there been any cases of an XD "Going off" unexpected? Can I confidently put in a magazine, load the chamber, put the pistol in a holster, and be sure that unless the grip safety is depressed AND the trigger pulled, the gun will not go off?
Like Spittin said the best safety device is between your ears, but after that YES the XD is very safe. Although I don't carry mine often, when I do take it out, it usually has one in the chamber and I sure the hell don't baby it by any means. As long as you handle it properly and aren't intending to shoot it, it's not going to just "go off".

Old 02-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies. As I said in my first post, I was never really concerned about it before, but the guys that tried talking me out of it are die-hard 1911 guys and swear by the manual safety.

Through watching a couple of the dis-assembly/re-assembly videos, and tearing the XD apart and re-assembling it myself, I feel pretty confident in how all the safeties work, and how each one acts as an extension of another. I just let my own "Self-Doubt" get in the way. It had been a few years before the XD since I had owned/handled a pistol, and these guys had been shooting for quite a few years, therefore "Knew more than me".

I felt it wouldn't hurt to ask guys who had more experience with the XD, about their experience.

Again, thanks for the replies, and Yes, I know the first safety of ANY weapon is the one between the ears.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts

If the manual safety is that big of a deal for you and you want to stay with an XD you can get an XD45 service model with a manual safety.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #6

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Any firearm is dangerous and your job as a CCW licensee is to manage the danger.

If you're not comfortable in this management, Don't carry!

I don’t carry a gun dumbed down to be safe, I carry one that will be incredibly dangerous when I “SAFELY” remove it from my holster and blow some dirt bag’s heart out! - cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy821 View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. As I said in my first post, I was never really concerned about it before, but the guys that tried talking me out of it are die-hard 1911 guys and swear by the manual safety.

Through watching a couple of the dis-assembly/re-assembly videos, and tearing the XD apart and re-assembling it myself, I feel pretty confident in how all the safeties work, and how each one acts as an extension of another. I just let my own "Self-Doubt" get in the way. It had been a few years before the XD since I had owned/handled a pistol, and these guys had been shooting for quite a few years, therefore "Knew more than me".

I felt it wouldn't hurt to ask guys who had more experience with the XD, about their experience.

Again, thanks for the replies, and Yes, I know the first safety of ANY weapon is the one between the ears.
You are going to run in to the die hard fans of the 1911 on any forum you go to. Granted the 1911 is a fine choice for CCW, BUT it is not the only choice and these guys can not seem to understant that. Not everyone likes or wants to carry the 1911.

I have several 1911's but have carried a Sig P229 for 12yrs because it was what felt comfortable for me to carry. I am a big guy so I can pretty much carry what ever I feel like.

I trade in my Sig for a XD 45 Service Model about 3 yrs ago and recently (well last March 09) started carrying a XD45C. Love both of them. Have never regreted my choice. I like the the combonation trigger/grip safety on the pistol.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:37 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf View Post
You are going to run in to the die hard fans of the 1911 on any forum you go to. Granted the 1911 is a fine choice for CCW, BUT it is not the only choice and these guys can not seem to understant that. Not everyone likes or wants to carry the 1911.

I have several 1911's but have carried a Sig P229 for 12yrs because it was what felt comfortable for me to carry. I am a big guy so I can pretty much carry what ever I feel like.

I trade in my Sig for a XD 45 Service Model about 3 yrs ago and recently (well last March 09) started carrying a XD45C. Love both of them. Have never regreted my choice. I like the the combonation trigger/grip safety on the pistol.
I too have carried my XD45C with a round in the chamber without incident. Simply put, the firearm is designed NOT to go off unless both the trigger safety and backstrap (grip) safety are pressed in tandum. A striker block is in place should the striker be released without both of these safeties being depressed simultaneously. I am a 1911 guy converted to carrying the XD as my personal carry gun and it took some getting used to as far as not having a manual safety. However, knowing what Spitty said about the best safety being between my ears and knowing the features of this great firearm, I am very comfortable keeping a round in the chamber and my finger OFF the trigger until I am ready to fire.

"When in doubt [use] C4." -Jamie Hyneman (Mythbusters)

Old 02-19-2010, 02:38 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I carry an XD 9 because it is safe without being cumbersomely safe. You have a cocked indicator, you have a chamber loaded indicator, you have a backstrap safety, a Glock-style trigger safety, and a long trigger pull until and unless you control the reset. No switches to flip and no flippers to switch. When you pick up the gun, you can verify its status both visually and manually. When you intend to fire it, you make all the safeties simply by holding it in a proper grip and pulling the switch. It's genius.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 02-19-2010, 06:32 AM   #10

Safe as a tool for war may be.

Its safe enough, it ain't gonna go off by itself.