Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Help Sell Me on an XD-40c (Please!) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/help-sell-me-xd-40c-please-72329/)

B5Dan 09-13-2012 03:13 AM

Help Sell Me on an XD-40c (Please!)

Hello All!
I am in desperate need (well, that's what I tell the wife) of a DISCRETE sub-compact firearm in .40 S&W, and I absolutely detest Glock. Also, my budget is ~$500, but the closer to $400 I can get that, the better off I will be. That said, I have pretty much narrowed my decision down to 4 pistols: the M&P 40c, the Taurus 24/7c Gen2, the Ruger SR40c, and, of course, the XD 40c. I am comfortable CC'ing a compact without frame safeties (a la Block), but the added safeties on all of them but the S&W are added bonuses. I do like the grip safety on the XD. In all reality, I am pretty close to the XD, but my concerns are whether the higher bore axis makes accuracy difficult, quality and longevity, and if the fact that the added thickness makes EDC uncomfortable. That said, I usually carry a Witness (full-size frame, compact bbl) or my CZ SP-01, but I really, REALLY need something that I can carry without any fear of flashing. Minor printing would be bad, but not necessarily catastrophic.

Pros of the S&W? Thinner, lower bore axis
Taurus Pros? Thinner, higher capacity (unless I'm mistaken)
Ruger? Thinner, bore axis, but it's BIG for a "compact"
XD? Price, great company, trigger feels nice...

Help push me over the edge guys, or steer me in a better direction. I won't be buying it this month, but I am putting money down on one of them next week, one way or another.

I appreciate your help!

Axxe55 09-13-2012 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B5Dan (Post 938710)
Hello All!
I am in desperate need (well, that's what I tell the wife) of a DISCRETE sub-compact firearm in .40 S&W, and I absolutely detest Glock. Also, my budget is ~$500, but the closer to $400 I can get that, the better off I will be. That said, I have pretty much narrowed my decision down to 4 pistols: the M&P 40c, the Taurus 24/7c Gen2, the Ruger SR40c, and, of course, the XD 40c. I am comfortable CC'ing a compact without frame safeties (a la Block), but the added safeties on all of them but the S&W are added bonuses. I do like the grip safety on the XD. In all reality, I am pretty close to the XD, but my concerns are whether the higher bore axis makes accuracy difficult, quality and longevity, and if the fact that the added thickness makes EDC uncomfortable. That said, I usually carry a Witness (full-size frame, compact bbl) or my CZ SP-01, but I really, REALLY need something that I can carry without any fear of flashing. Minor printing would be bad, but not necessarily catastrophic.

Help push me over the edge guys, or steer me in a better direction. I won't be buying it this month, but I am putting money down on one of them next week, one way or another.

I appreciate your help!

Dan, i will try and be as much help as i can. i own the XDm40 and really like it. i had the XD45C and i liked how it shot and liked that the recoil didn't bother me, with it being a compact 45. the M-P is a nice pistol and one i have handled but not shot, and would take a chance on. the Ruger and the Taurus, just really didn't care for how they fit my hand, but that's a personal preference. they shot okay to me, nothing spectacular, just did what a pistol is suppose to do. the XDm40 just seemed to fit me better than the rest and i shoot decently with it. personally i bought my XDm40 because of many SA pistols i have owned over the years, part of the reason i would also take a chance on the S&W M-P pistol, because of past experiance. so if you need a gently nudge for the XD, here it is, NUDGE!:D

Tackleberry1 09-13-2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B5Dan (Post 938710)
Hello All!

I appreciate your help!

Dan,

After 17 years of daily CCW I do not think anything in your list will fill your need. No double stack auto will be a "no printing" option.

If you lime .40 check out the Kahr line of single stack autos...personally, we I in the market, I'd be dropping 5 bills on the new XD's .45 ACP.

Not trying to bust your selections, just sharing my experience.

Tack

chuckusaret 09-13-2012 03:50 AM

My EDC is a XD40SC and I love it. About 6K rounds down the pipe without a failure of any type. It replaced a S&W M&P 9mm compact .

B5Dan 09-13-2012 04:08 AM

Tack? Thanks for the input. Perhaps I'll price those... For all the others, thanks a ton! As I said, I am pretty close to getting the XD, so unless the Kahr is super well-priced, it will very likely be the XD. And if it does print, well, maybe I'll end up "being forced, against my will no less" into buying a Kahr or other single stack a few months down the road... :)

B5Dan 09-14-2012 02:15 AM

Hey, does anyone here have a Walther PK380 and an XD compact? I know the XD is significantly wider, but how does the XD measure up as far as height and lenghth? I can look at the specs online and compare them, but I would love a comparison by feel from real people. My Witness P-S (full frame, compact bbl) is only about .4" greater in height, but in terms of carry, the difference is huge...

Thanks again, gents!

spook 09-17-2012 08:02 PM

I have both the XD40 and XDm40. If I buy another handgun it will be the XD40sc. I have recently seen them for sale for $399 new. That is $100 under your budget.

B5Dan 09-17-2012 11:32 PM

That's a great price. But my guy had a Ruger SR40c when I went to get the XD and I liked it lots more, so I bought it... I wouldn't mind a FS XD40 though... Hopefully one of those is in my near future

Coyotenator 09-18-2012 12:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have a 40SC and a PK.380. Here are side by side pics.

Attachment 59373

Attachment 59374

B5Dan 09-20-2012 02:49 AM

Thanks for the comparison!