Fundamental help - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum >

Fundamental help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 51 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
If you are right handed you could be over gripping the pistol. If you put too much thumb pressure in the grip, it tends to rotate the gun to the left when you fire. Or if you don't have your trigger finger in the right place you may push the pistol to the left when you squeeze the trigger.

Dropping rounds downward often indicates that you are anticipating recoil and trying to force the muzzle down before it even has risen under recoil.

If you can, go buy some snap caps and let someone else mix them in with the rounds in your mag. You will then probably be able to see what you are doing that you can't see when the gun actually fires.
Solid advice here!

Old 09-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #12

Liked 4743 Times on 2362 Posts
Likes Given: 1132

Never underestimate the importance of dry firing. It's like a boxer, spending hours upon hours on the heavy bag, speed bag, focus mits, etc...

I've read and believe that dry firing helps condition you to not flinch in anticipation of recoil. I like to balance a penny flat on the top of the slide, and practice dry firing that way.

X2 on mixing snap caps in your magazines. I like to mix snap caps and spent shells in 5 different magazines, then mix up the magazines so I don't know what's coming.

Of course, always practice the fundamental safety rules when dry firing. 'I thought it was empty/ thought it was just a training round.'. Is heard way too often in my opinion.

I might get some heat for this, but if you can't get to an instructor, I recommend getting the Magpul pistol training DVD. I've been shooting for over 2 decades, and still learned a lot from that DVD.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #13

Liked 4743 Times on 2362 Posts
Likes Given: 1132

I've never done this for shooting, but I've done it for boxing and archery, do I know how awesome it works.
Take a camcorder with you to the range, I bet your phone probably has one. Set it up, or have someone else record you. Film the things you want to work on, and review the footage on your down time. Make notes on what you need to improve. I've found this to be one of the best things for improving yourself.

Newest Threads