Fundamental help
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum >

Fundamental help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Fundamental help

Just got back from the range with my 308 and my xd9... Shot the 308 great but noticed when im shooting my xd my bullets were low and to the left....i was shooting about 10 yards and keeping same sights throughout the day....any advice on what i may be doing wrong for my shots to be low?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #2

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

Follow this

f2-2-1.gif

Old 08-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #3

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

And this http://www.bullseyepistol.com/chapter2.htm

Old 08-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #4

Thanks...i guess i just need more practice and maybe more discipline when im shooting...but i will never stop lol

Old 08-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #5

Liked 2512 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 577

If you are right handed you could be over gripping the pistol. If you put too much thumb pressure in the grip, it tends to rotate the gun to the left when you fire. Or if you don't have your trigger finger in the right place you may push the pistol to the left when you squeeze the trigger.

Dropping rounds downward often indicates that you are anticipating recoil and trying to force the muzzle down before it even has risen under recoil.

If you can, go buy some snap caps and let someone else mix them in with the rounds in your mag. You will then probably be able to see what you are doing that you can't see when the gun actually fires.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/diagnosis-handgun-inaccuracy-53591/

There is a good chart in that thread. There is a better one somewhere on here with two circles, one for righty's and one for lefty's (not politically speaking).

Old 08-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

my weapons are all more accurate than am i. when i fail to properly alaign my sights and or snatch at the trigger rather than smoothly press the trigger, my results are lousy. most of the time it is pretty good but when i struggle i know it is back to the basics. sight picture and trigger press above all else. grip and stance are important of course but if i don't press the trigger with good sight picture forget i might as well stand on my head and pass gas.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
If you are right handed you could be over gripping the pistol. If you put too much thumb pressure in the grip, it tends to rotate the gun to the left when you fire. Or if you don't have your trigger finger in the right place you may push the pistol to the left when you squeeze the trigger.

Dropping rounds downward often indicates that you are anticipating recoil and trying to force the muzzle down before it even has risen under recoil.

If you can, go buy some snap caps and let someone else mix them in with the rounds in your mag. You will then probably be able to see what you are doing that you can't see when the gun actually fires.
Thanks alot..this sounds like what i am doing and is great advice...another buddy of mine said i was probably putting too much pressure on the grip...i am looking forward to getting back to the range and putting these tips to the test...thanks again everyone

Old 08-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #9

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If it makes you feel any better, you're not the first one to be afflicted with the "low-left" problem, particularly shooting the XD line of pistols.

Once you achieve the proper sight picture, illustrated in tacticalfun's posts, and can perfect the correct grip and trigger "press" mentioned by SSGN-Doc and refugeepj, you'll be well on your way.

Last edited by treehugger49; 08-30-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49
If it makes you feel any better, you're not the first one to be afflicted with the "low-left" problem, particularly shooting the XD line of pistols.

Once you achieve the proper sight picture, illustrated in tacticalfun's posts, and can perfect the correct grip and trigger "press" mentioned by SSGN-Doc and refugeepj, you'll be well on your way.
I just got back yesterday from the range and i loosened my grip a little and what a diiference it made!!...still slightly low...but nothing compared towhat it was and no more pulling left.... was very pleased with how i shot and thanks everyone for the pointers

Newest Threads