First time with my new XDM - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum >

First time with my new XDM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla
I have XDM 9mm w 4.5" and I recently went to the range and shot left. Go to XD.com forum - this happens. I got some advice on adjusting my grip and next time all was well. Get as high a grip as you can...just like a revolver

It seems to follow a 90/10 rule - 90% of the time it's you, 10% sights. XDMs are set for 6 o'clock hold on Tgt. Easier to try new grip then it is to drift rear sight...
I thought that I read somewhere that XDMs went back to regular center target aim?

Old 05-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 342 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 161

The new ones - could be but mine is definitely 6 o'clock which took me a wee bit of time to get used to. Kinda like shooting a trap gun, you can always keep the Tgt in sight.

It only becomes an issue when you switch guns - another reason why I love adj sights. You adjust the POI to suit your preference. (no matter where it's shooting)

While you can adjust to anything, I prefer to aim right at the Tgt or what I want to destroy. Minor complaint - 9mm kinda zips through tgts while I'm accustomed to 45s knocking them down n around. OK, B & C session over.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 05-10-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:12 AM   #13

Quote:
The new ones - could be but mine is definitely 6 o'clock which took me a wee bit of time to get used to. Kinda like shooting a trap gun, you can always keep the Tgt in sight.

It only becomes an issue when you switch guns - another reason why I love adj sights. You adjust the POI to suit your preference. (no matter where it's shooting)

While you can adjust to anything, I prefer to aim right at the Tgt or what I want to destroy. Minor complaint - 9mm kinda zips through tgts while I'm accustomed to 45s knocking them down n around. OK, B & C session over.
Mine is new so I think it is normal aim.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 342 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Great news, now do yourself a favor and buy some snap caps or read my thread on dry firing XDMs.

The factory rep said SA is considering adding a 3/32" punch w all the other goodies. I told them it was a great idea because you need a punch to change back straps and I think it's the same size as roll pin.

I am still irritated they won't cut us existing owners any slack or price breaks on installing the new sights like on the 5.25"

I'm glad you are enjoying your new pistol.

Next Purchase: It's time for the 1911.

PS: I have Pachymr rubber slip on grip attachment - LOVE it - my grips were a bit sharp and this solved the problem for under $10.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 05-17-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Great news, now do yourself a favor and buy some snap caps or read my thread on dry firing XDMs.

The factory rep said SA is considering adding a 3/32" punch w all the other goodies. I told them it was a great idea because you need a punch to change back straps and I think it's the same size as roll pin.

I am still irritated they won't cut us existing owners any slack or price breaks on installing the new sights like on the 5.25"

I'm glad you are enjoying your new pistol.

Next Purchase: It's time for the 1911.

PS: I have Pachymr rubber slip on grip attachment - LOVE it - my grips were a bit sharp and this solved the problem for under $10.
Thanks - I have some snap caps. Going to be going out next week for my second time with it. Hopefully I shoot better. I will look at your posts.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #16

When I bought my first firearm, after about 20 years, it was an XD .45 I got some Meprolight night sights. Main reason is that the sights on it was hard for me to see the small dots. I saw that Meprolight had bigger dots, plus great for night time home protection. I had the pawnshop I bought them thru put them on, I read that Springfield sights are a b#*^& to put on without the sight tool. I noticed they didn't center my front sight so I centered it and found out they are tight. This made me have to adjust my rear sight. After some hammering them over I finally got it pretty close I don't shoot much so I figure I will practice some more to see if it's me or I need to knock them over some more. It shoots a little to the left. I used a BUNCH of clothespins to hammer on they fit perfect. So here's the final result I shot a few months ago. The bottom target was before setting them lol. Just so everyone knows I don't shoot as often as I really want/need to, plus I have had the gun only a year. After I saw it was pretty close I tried practicing trigger control. Sorry it's so blurry I can't take pictures that good this was about 15 to 20 rounds. I have 3 mags but I carry my JHP in one. They hold 13 each so that's about as many shots I take when I shoot, I know I need to get out there more often and run through 100 rounds or more. I like the way I am shooting my XD .45 ACP. I have to get used to my Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S&W now. I have only shot 2 mags of 14 rounds per mag. I will be picking up some more mags soon. This was shooting from 10 or 15 feet.

First time with my new XDM - XD Forum
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
~George Washington

Old 06-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #17

Second time out - the kids softball and baseball are killing me!

I am getting a much better hang of how it shoots and after my first 2 mags (36 rnds) I shot great. A total of 150 for the day. 300 total so far through the gun. Still loving my choice of the XDM