Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   First pistol purchase - XDm 40 - 3.8 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/first-pistol-purchase-xdm-40-3-8-a-87640/)

Rayzer 03-28-2013 03:21 AM

First pistol purchase - XDm 40 - 3.8

Considering that I don't plan on carrying this weapon, should I go with the standard or compact grip for range and home protection use? Thanks.

Missouribound 03-28-2013 03:28 AM

The best thing you can do is go to a store which has both....pick them up and see what you like better. Whatevery you choose, be prepared to practice...practice...practice.

95sniper 03-28-2013 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouribound (Post 1193757)
The best thing you can do is go to a store which has both....pick them up and see what you like better. Whatevery you choose, be prepared to practice...practice...practice.

I agree, also keep magazine capacity in mind, although at the end of the day less rounds more accurately is better than many inaccurate rounds. Make sure it is comfortable in your hands.

Rayzer 04-03-2013 01:10 AM

Special ordered the XDM compact. Can't wait to get it!

Thanks for the input...

Dearhunter 04-03-2013 01:23 AM

Congrats on getting a gun.
Good advice about practice. Go slow, think and do it right each time you pull the trigger. Don't jerk the trigger just because your sights are on target. Many folks fault on this point, because they have a problem holding the gun sites on target and jerk the trigger when they see a line up. Think, breath, hold you breath, aim, squeeze slowly. Load a couple of dummy rounds. When one is chambered (you don't know when) and you pull the trigger, the gun should not move. If it does dip, you know you are doing it wrong. Get in a habit and your natural reflex will take over after a while. Speed will advance for you.

Good luck, have fun and enjoy.

yogiboobooranger 04-09-2013 01:30 PM

Congrats on your decision. Post pics when you get it or it never happened!!

Rayzer 05-11-2013 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogiboobooranger
Congrats on your decision. Post pics when you get it or it never happened!!

Just got it after about 5 weeks since placing the order and I love it!

Rayzer 05-27-2013 04:41 AM

Looking to upgrade sights to compensate for my old eyes; does anyone have any suggestions on good working sites for the XDm 3.8 compact 40? I read that the Trijicom HD (orange) night sights were pretty good performers.
Your input would greatly appreciated; thanks in advance.

Axxe55 05-27-2013 06:15 AM

i have the XDm40 in the 4.5" barrel version. great pistol. personally i think you will be happy with it.

the XDm has dovetail grooves for the sights, but not for sure what nitesights would work with them. might get a gunsmith to measure them or call SA and talk to one of their techs and see what sights would fit it.