Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > On the fence: M&P Shield or XDs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default On the fence: M&P Shield or XDs

Know I tossed a turd onto the dining room table with this question to this group, but I could really use some help here. I am looking for CCW that will be fun at the range and as safe as reasonably possible to carry. This will be my 2nd attempt at a carry gun, my first being a little Taurus 738 that was both unreliable and very unpleasant to shoot (sold that one). My HD gun is a S&W sigma 9 which has been perfect so far other than the trigger which I am working on. The Shield is exactly what I need. I really like the safety very hard to accidentally engage and a thumb flick to release. These guns are impossible to get down here in the south without waiting about three months.

Then I found the XDs at a gun show and really liked it. Great sights, and trigger, not so sure about the grip safety being much value, and 2 less rounds then the Shield 9mm. The edge in caliber is pretty negligible as far as putting down BGs goes. And most of what i have read indicates that the XDs has a very manageable recoil (which is pretty hard to believe). So it all comes down to this. I have never shot a 45 and am afraid it would be too much gun and no fun to shoot. Most of the comments on the XDs come from very experienced 45ers who like to stay with their favorite caliber in a near pocket pistol. No way to shoot these guns before buying and the obvious solution - "buy both" is just not in my budget any time soon.

There is one more factor in this dilemma. We will be spending the week of Thanksgiving in Laredo, TX and I would really like to IWB carry down there.

I have picked up a great deal from the expert advice and experiences offered on this forum so I am hoping there might be others who pondered this sort of decision. So, at this point any advice, technical, financial or spiritual that gets me off this fence and to the range would be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1822 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Shoot the 45 before you buy one. Actually you should shoot both as some of the mini 9's have some heavy recoil. The 45 might be easier to shoot. I did not like my PF9 Kel-tek at all. My G36 Glock 45 was easier to shoot. It is critical that you get a pistol that you can shoot accurately and quickly. Shot placement is more important than the size of the bullet. If you are good with cocked and locked, check out the Sig 938. You might also look at the Ruger SR9c with the 10 round mag. If you can carry the XDs, you can carry the SR9c.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 69

The XDS shoots quite softly for such a small 45. I have'nt shot a shield yet but they feel great in the hand. Hopefully going to shoot the shield on Sunday. So can't compare them until then. Another consideration is that 9mm is cheaper to practice with. Also the SR9c is a great gun. Slightly larger than the others but shoots great.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1126 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 649

i have no exprience with the xd 45., or the shield. havent even held the shield. i DO have exprience with the XD .40, and SR9C. both are wonderful firearms. my xd is our HD gun, and the sr9c is hoepfully going to be my wifes carry.. untill shes ready its my carry gun.i fell in love with the XD the first time i held it and have never looked back. i was very surprised to find out that the sr9c, is every bit as snappy, and has as much or slighty more recoil than my xd. im sure its due to size, and weight but it did catch me off guard at first. with that being said, both are still very conrtollable and i trust both to function everytime. ive been wearing the sr9c in an OWB holster with no problems. just been keeping a sweatshirt on everywhere i go.i would carry my 40 if possible but i need an IWB, or shoulder holster for that to be concealed. its too bulky for an OWB, except at the range.

9c.jpg   92.jpg  
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm debating between these two as well. Like both calibers and do enjoy my XDM in 9mm. Only fired a full-size 1911 for a .45 though. Haven't been able to hold or find either one in my area though.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:05 AM   #6

I really like my XDS 45 and with the deep conceal IWB holster from PJ Holsters it carries so well I can wear it while driving without an problems or discomfort.
image-319266959.jpg

Old 11-02-2012, 03:08 AM   #7

Liked 55 Times on 42 Posts

I have both the Shield and XDs and like them both. For someone not very experienced with 45s I'd recommend the Shield 9mm. Both pistols are very similar size wise but the Shield has a lot less recoil. If you get an opportunity shoot both and see what you prefer, they are both great little pistols.

dsc07542.jpg   dsc06276.jpg  

Old 11-02-2012, 03:18 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky80
The XDS shoots quite softly for such a small 45. I have'nt shot a shield yet but they feel great in the hand. Hopefully going to shoot the shield on Sunday. So can't compare them until then. Another consideration is that 9mm is cheaper to practice with. Also the SR9c is a great gun. Slightly larger than the others but shoots great.
JTJ's suggestion to shoot the 45 makes sense and sure would if I could. I just don't have that option. I do like idea of shooting the cheaper 9mm ammo. I have heard a lot of positive things about the SR9C, and it has that big plus that I could actually buy one. I have an SR22 that is a great gun. I am anxious to hear what you think of the Shield, Sparky. I have held both and other than the really rough texture on the XDs grip, it feels better and the sites are way better than the Shield. I found several XDs in the local area for $570. The XDs is more the gun I want and the Shield is what I need. The SR9C seems a bit big for IWB carry. There is a passion among 45 shooters that seems to transcend just having a bigger badder bullet, and most of them seem to like the single stack XDS. One day I will have both, but that might take a while.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:31 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag318
I have both the Shield and XDs and like them both. For someone not very experienced with 45s I'd recommend the Shield 9mm. Both pistols are very similar size wise but the Shield has a lot less recoil. If you get an opportunity shoot both and see what you prefer, they are both great little pistols.
Thanks Mag... That is exactly what I know I should do. I don't want to wait 3 months for the Shield and maybe I will get lucky. Then maybe I will get a chance to shoot the XFs before I shell out $550+ for another CCW.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 69

One more consideration is that the XDS is going to come out in 9 and 40. It may be awhile though.