Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Dry Firing XD 40?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 12:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I'm going to pickup some of those tomorrow.

Two 45s are better than one!

GeorgiaCarry.org
BlackGunOwners.org
NRA

Old 07-10-2009, 01:54 AM   #12

Is it OK to leave the XD cocked in storage, rather than dry firing?

Old 08-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog View Post
Is it OK to leave the XD cocked in storage, rather than dry firing?
You waited a whole month for a reply so I better make it a good one....

I don't understand the question. Could you please rephrase it?

I would not store any gun in the cocked position- if you are referring to actually storing it for any extended period it should be locked with a gunlock through the breech or in a gun safe (or both) and I still insert a visual reminder that the barrel is empty.

If you are referring to leaving it cocked and loaded (ie: for home defense) between practice sessions, you are not going to hurt it. Just choose a storage method that is safe for you and your family should the gun stay in the home while you are not there.

The dry firing everyone is referring to in this thread is in reference to dry firing for practice/ trigger control- which you should do as often as you can between visits to the range.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawth View Post
I dry fire the living **** out of my XD45. I'll let ya'll know if/when I have a problem.

Canebrake- the set up is a striker spring as well as a dampening spring so there is some energy absorption...(SK below ).

It is a generally OK to dry fire the XD, although I do agree that if you have snap caps, why not use them? There are some reports of excessive dry firing eventually snapping the striker retainer pin, but it is an ongoing argument whether this is only due to dry firing or the combination of repeated dis-assembly, or incorrect removal/install weakening the pin and the dry firing eventually does it in. orangello- you are not going to hurt your gun dry firing it in the manner you mentioned. The pin breakage is usually with guns that get dry fired many thousands of times.

Carnage (from another XD forum):

that looks nothing like and xd firing pin.

as a SA certified armorer, dry firing the xd is fine and does dot harm it at all. The striker is held in place with a roll pin, which distribute the little bit of shock, within the pin channel. There is also a spring in front, which prevents hard impact against the breach surface. I will say, if you install and extra power striker/firing pin spring, you may want to find an extra power dampening spring as well. To remove the striker/firing pin spring, you need a roll pin punch, and punch from bottom to top. It is a solid single piece striker/firing pin, with a dampening spring in front. Sure dry firing will wear that spring more than using snap caps, however that spring is rated the same as the striker in terms of replacement interval, and is recommended for gunsmith replacement, but only because the striker is held in place with the roll pin, and when sent in for repairs they declare a warranty void if they find dings from amateur gunsmithing. However if you ever replace or removed your own... DO NOT fully remove the roll pin or you need to replace it with a new one. the hole tapers very slightly as well... so do not remove it completely. just enough to remove the striker...

Old 10-05-2009, 04:05 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCMayhem View Post
that looks nothing like and xd firing pin.
...that would be because it is not a firing pin, it is the striker retaining pin as mentioned. In your own words:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCMayhem View Post
The striker is held in place with a roll pin, which distribute the little bit of shock
which is correct and also why they can eventually wear out and sometimes fail.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #16
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1681 Times on 1026 Posts
Likes Given: 1997

Default Springfield Manual Opinion on Dry Fire

Went to check the Springfield manual for the XD pistols. Here is what they say:

"Before attempting to load this firearm with live
ammunition, follow the sequence of operations shown
here without ammunition or with dummy shells.
By practicing operations without ammunition
(or with dummy shells), you will become familiar with:
• Safety features,
• Trigger control (dry firing),
• and handling of your firearm.
As a result you will be a safer, more confident
shooter when aiming at your first target."

Looks like the manufacturer approves either with dummy shells or without ammo.

I'm just a new shooter, so the following is an inexperienced opinion (mine). Having some dummy shells seems useful for checking for flinch or other muzzle movement during live fire. But for dry fire it seems a lot faster and easier to dry fire empty. A set of 5 dummy shells in a magazine gives you 5 chances to scatter the dummy shells around the practice room. Then you get the frustration of reloading the magazine with dummies. If the manufacturer is OK with empty dry fire, seems like it should be no problem.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5316 Times on 2775 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Went to check the Springfield manual for the XD pistols. Here is what they say:

"Before attempting to load this firearm with live
ammunition, follow the sequence of operations shown
here without ammunition or with dummy shells.
By practicing operations without ammunition
(or with dummy shells), you will become familiar with:
• Safety features,
• Trigger control (dry firing),
• and handling of your firearm.
As a result you will be a safer, more confident
shooter when aiming at your first target."

Looks like the manufacturer approves either with dummy shells or without ammo.

I'm just a new shooter, so the following is an inexperienced opinion (mine). Having some dummy shells seems useful for checking for flinch or other muzzle movement during live fire. But for dry fire it seems a lot faster and easier to dry fire empty. A set of 5 dummy shells in a magazine gives you 5 chances to scatter the dummy shells around the practice room. Then you get the frustration of reloading the magazine with dummies. If the manufacturer is OK with empty dry fire, seems like it should be no problem.
Ya do know this thread is nearly 2.5 years since the last post right??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...