Dry Firing XD 40?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Dry Firing XD 40?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 01:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Dry Firing XD 40?

Is it okay to dry fire my new pistol every now and then? I did some research on the site and I didn't really get a clear answer.

I know on some handguns it could ruin the pin. But on some website, it says that dry firing xd 40 is safe.

The reason I'm asking is because you can't uncock an xd? unless I'm mistaken.

Thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2009, 02:00 AM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You won't hurt your XD by dry-firing it. I would keep it to a minimum, though.

I would recommend getting some dummy rounds (snap caps) to use to give the firing pin something to work against.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:45 AM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Do your gun('s firing pin) a favor and get a 5 pack of these;

As you can see I use mine frequently. Actually I have made a game of chambering one and while watching evening TV I practice my trigger brake and sight picture by shooting actors on screen. The worse the show the more practice I get in. It's great therapy!

MidwayUSA - A-ZOOM Action Proving Dummy, Snap Cap 40 S&W Aluminum Package of 5
A-Zoom Snap Caps 5/PK - .40S&W - Top Gun Supply
A-Zoom 15114 A-Zoom Snap Caps 40 S&W 5Pk

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 02-13-2009 at 12:31 PM.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Do your gun('s firing pin) a favor and get a 5 pack of these;

As you can see I use mine frequently. Actually I have made a game of cambering one and while watching evening TV I practice my trigger brake and site picture by shooting actors on screen. The worse the show the more practice I get in. It's great therapy![/B]
Hahaha, nice! I just ordered some from topgunsupply. Thanks for the link!

Old 02-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

On most guns, especially centerfire handguns & rifles, it don't hurt to dry fire them. The Springfield Armory XD is specifically made to dry fire safely. In fact, even though it's not regular dry firing, pulling trigger is part of field stripping process on XDs. The XDM is made so you don't have to pull trigger as part of disassembly process.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Snap caps are fun, especially when you hide them in mags for new shooters to expose their flinch.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
On most guns, especially centerfire handguns & rifles, it don't hurt to dry fire them. The Springfield Armory XD is specifically made to dry fire safely. In fact, even though it's not regular dry firing, pulling trigger is part of field stripping process on XDs. The XDM is made so you don't have to pull trigger as part of disassembly process.
Bear, first off I’m not familiar with the springer XD ignition system. You can bet I’m going to study it to understand this new system (reason) that allows dry fire.
BUT, the engineer in me still has a problem with the whole mass/velocity energy transfer thingie. (thingie is a technical word)
The intention by design, of the Firing Pin (moving object) is to transfer energy to the primer by strike. Without that primer strike, the FP still needs to release its stored energy. Typically on an empty chamber, this release would occur when the FP spring reaches coil bind. This results in a much more violent “sudden stop” verses the slower release experienced in the ‘crumpling’ of the primer. (This is similar to the crush zone in the front clip of your car. It permits a slow release of energy protecting the driver/passengers [FP] during the crash.) Now we are back to the whole mass/velocity energy transfer thingie. It’s the whole ‘The fall doesn’t kill you; it’s the sudden stop at the end that does!’ The use of the snap cap eliminates this issue.

I have a second and equally useful application for the snap caps. When at the range I will randomly load 1 or 2 caps in my mags. While shooting, when the benign round rotates up, I get a good idea if my sight picture changes in anticipation of ignition (flinch or muzzle movement) providing great feedback!

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 02-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
The Springfield Armory XD is specifically made to dry fire safely. In fact, even though it's not regular dry firing, pulling trigger is part of field stripping process on XDs.
I really appreciate this post; i only got my XD45 recently & have cringed every time i had to dry fire it just to uncock it. I will still try to keep it to a minimum. thanks

Old 02-15-2009, 02:35 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I dry fire the living **** out of my XD45. I'll let ya'll know if/when I have a problem.

Canebrake- the set up is a striker spring as well as a dampening spring so there is some energy absorption...(SK below ).

It is a generally OK to dry fire the XD, although I do agree that if you have snap caps, why not use them? There are some reports of excessive dry firing eventually snapping the striker retainer pin, but it is an ongoing argument whether this is only due to dry firing or the combination of repeated dis-assembly, or incorrect removal/install weakening the pin and the dry firing eventually does it in. orangello- you are not going to hurt your gun dry firing it in the manner you mentioned. The pin breakage is usually with guns that get dry fired many thousands of times.

Carnage (from another XD forum):

Old 02-15-2009, 03:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawth View Post
Canebrake- the set up is a striker spring as well as a dampening spring so there is some energy absorption...
Thanks slawth, I knew there had to be some system to slow the sudden stop.

- orangello